Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted previously after having to replace alternator, regulator and battery on my '05 D650. I've confirmed proper installation and a fully charging system.

However, if at idle and the colling fan or highbeams are switched on the gauges "reset" as if I am just turning on the bike. All runs well, and my Trip mileage and clock stay accurate.

Any suggestions on why the system would be "overloading" and setting the gauges? This was the start to my complete electrical system failure last time, though diagnosis now points to a fully functional system.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Maybe the electronics inside the clocks are faulty. The only other fault I can think of is the ECU itself. It's probably going to be an eBay search to avoid buying the parts new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mine did that at one point even after upgrading all the charging stuff. i ended up pulling the connecter to the gauges out and making sure it had a good connection by adding electrical grease and i haven't had any problems since. but id like to see others opinion's on why this may be happening.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Interestingly enough, I loaded a new ECM map via TuneBoy and adjusted the CO a few days ago. I went for a ride afterwords, and when the cooling fan started, all the gauges zeroed out for a few seconds and then went back to their correct readings. It has not happened since, however. As to the cause, all I can say is that before fooling with the ECM, I never had the issue before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bomb,

Well holy cow. I'm not sure if I can directly link that same scenario to mine...but I loaded a new tune via my PowerCommander not too long after upgrading my alt, batt, reg.

With that said, can a Tuner maybe reset the brain and start over? I won't ever use my PowerCommander so was thinking of pulling it out and having my ECM set for my exhaust etc.

Hmmm. That's got me wondering.

Cheers,
Jacob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts