Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now, this maybe one of the most ridiculous posts i have made, but i haven't expierienced this on any other dirtbike, scooter, motorcycle, or care i've ever had...and was wondering if anyone else is getting this result...

when fillling up, about 50% of the time the nozzle won't auto stop pumping which results in me overfilling and a good amouunt of gas getting all over my tank, and ends with me getting a bunch of fine scratches on it when i have to wipe it up with the crappy gas station paper towels?

i dono if i'm just getting weird pumps, but i fill it up the exact same ways every time!! sometimes it overfills, sometimes it doesn't...like i said...it's fifty fifty for me and it sucks!!

i've now resorted to actually looking into the gastank when i'm filling up. not exactly the safest thing to do i realize, but i'm sick of gas getting all over the place...also not conveinient at all i may add.

so the question is, is anyone else getting anythign similar to this?

·
Registered
445 Posts
i've now resorted to actually looking into the gastank when i'm filling up.
I always do this. I've never relied on the pump stopping on its own.

Often, I'll stick in the pump and pump about 2.5 gallons. I watch the pump reading. Then, I slowly pump while watching the gas fill the tank. When I see it starting to splash just a bit, a pump slower to fill.

Works every time.

By the way, before even picking up the pump, I grab a couple of paper towels to catch anything that might drip out as a place the pump in the tank.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah screw it, i'm watching it from now on. cleaning up overflow sucks bigtime.

·
30,533 Posts
Watching while filling is about the only way to do it on a bike - but beware splashback into your eyes! It is easily done. I wear specs so I have a natural safety device on all the time, and I'm glad I do because I did get splashed one time.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Now, the other question is, do fill your tank while sitting on the bike (holding it upright) or while off the bike on its kickstand?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's happened to me a few times... nothing gives you the warm fuzzies like watching gas boil on your headers:eek::eek:

The only pumps it's ever happened to me on are the ones that have one the really long accordion type rubber boots on them

·
Registered
779 Posts
I always look down into the gas tank when filling. Half the time those pumps don't shut off on a car without making a mess. On a bike you are just asking for it. Even worse if you travel into an area with those 'vapor collection boots' on the gas nozzle. Then it takes both hands to get the gas nozzle into the tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sometimes you get those pump handles that are either NO GAS or FULL GAS. I ran into one of those at a BP a couple weeks ago. luckily nobody saw me splash gas everywhere:rolleyes:

reminds me of "long way round". in kahzakstan or mongolia they had these old school analog pumps that only dispense out a pre-determined amount of petrol; apparently you can't stop them. Ewan overfilled his tank and got petrol in his eyes twice. ouch!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Fillerup

If you look at your tank, the gas filler is on the right side just off the middle.
If you hold the bike upright, you get a level full off the right side of the filler opening since it's at a slight angle.
With the bike leaning on it's side stand, you will get just a teeny bit more in the tank due to the filler being on the right side and therefore more level (to the tank not the bike) .
If the filler were at the middle of the tank, then upright would be the way to fill to get a complete fill.
Now that you're all confused the bottom line is fill it with the bike on the sidestand, you'll get a bit more gas that way, But, it would take a tablespoon to measure the difference so....
Bottom bottom line.....It makes no difference, fill it however the heck you want to.
I'm going away now........(anyone know what a chinese firedrill is?)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
When filling my tank I always park left of the pump and set it on the side stand. The first thing I found out is to never try to fill it up past the neck flange. I made that mistake a few times and as soon as I stood the bike up it ran straight out the overflow. Another thing is that I never fill up on the way to work. When it's parked in the hot Arizona sun for 9 hrs with a full tank it will always expand down the overflow. Come to think of it I have even had the carb float bowls leak on really hot days (112°F in the shade, only Satin knows what, in the sun over asphalt).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the inputs guys!! guess i'm watching it from now on.

now, about to steal my own thread here, but speaking of long way around?

when did this actually air? and did it air in the US? i've heard about it, and have really wanted to watch it but i don't remember it airing here. and every electronics store i've been into never has it stocked? i can order it though..would love to watch it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Once I left the auto-shut off go for itself and it overflowed all over the tank and onto the blazing hot exhaust pipes enveloping me in a cloud of gasoline vapor. I just waited a little bit for the gas to dry off, walked the bike to another parking spot and took a coffee break.
I have eyeballed it and manually shut off the gas ever since.
But that gasoline is NOT going to hurt your tank paint. It would be a crime if it did. If you ever DO spill gas on the outside of the tank again just wait til you get home to wipe it with a proper soft cloth. No harm will be done.
When filling:
I place the bike on side stand and fill to the filler neck, replace the cap and off I go. If I placed the bike vertically BEFORE I replaced the cap I could see where it would go into the vent tube. But since I DO replace the cap before moving the bike and I have NEVER had a single problem in 12,000 miles then I consider this method to be completely proper and I'll not do it any other way...
So there :)

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Neener, neener, neener.

I need to get one of those big fat washer things for fill-ups.

Oh, that's not it. Here it is:

I hate having to hold up the vapor recovery boot (the accordian bellows) in order to fill up the tank. What a PITA!

·
Registered
120 Posts
now, about to steal my own thread here, but speaking of long way around?

when did this actually air? and did it air in the US? i've heard about it, and have really wanted to watch it but i don't remember it airing here. and every electronics store i've been into never has it stocked? i can order it though..would love to watch it!
It is available on netflix. Also found it at deepdiscountdvd. Love this site for dvd's. Cheap and free shipping in the US.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=51254059

·
Registered
220 Posts
But that gasoline is NOT going to hurt your tank paint. It would be a crime if it did. If you ever DO spill gas on the outside of the tank again just wait til you get home to wipe it with a proper soft cloth. No harm will be done.
right i know the actual gas isn't going to hurt it. it's the junky paper towels i have to use at gas stations to clean up the gas that are all harsh and nasty and leave fine scratches at times :)

It is available on netflix. Also found it at deepdiscountdvd. Love this site for dvd's. Cheap and free shipping in the US.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=51254059
how many actual episodes is it? was it like a whole season?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Now, the other question is, do fill your tank while sitting on the bike (holding it upright) or while off the bike on its kickstand?
Off the bike, bike on stand. Man, that inside flange screws everything up. I never use the auto shut off, what with the tank reacting like Old Faithful and all.
I like the old Triumphs in this regard - no inside flange - you could see easily the fuel level, no muss, no fuss. But standing is so much easier.
Oh, in NJ the attendant still pumps the gas, sometimes. So I pull in and this kid working there, about 12 or so, says, "Oooh, I never put gas in a motorcycle before!" all eager and such.
Says I, "Yeah, and you ain't gonna do it now either!" LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts