Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in Florida, and as a 1st year resident, I kept an emergency supply of gasoline in plastic tanks in my garage. Now that the 2006 threat is gone, I was wondering if it is safe to use this gas in my '06 T100, the gasoline was purchased and stored in June? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
If you google 'gasoline shelf life' you will get information that gas lasts from two weeks to 10 years.

I wouldn't put old gas in my bike.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I wouldn't use it in my bike either...neither would I use it in an auto or pickup with fuel injection. If you have an auto or PU that has a carb, I would put some stabil in the fuel and use it in that vehicle...if not find someone with an old pickup and sell it to them for 1/2 price. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
254 Posts
My wife is a chemical engineer for BP and has written a few published articles on this subject.

The shelf life depends on many factors, such as the storage conditions, type of container, geographic region (different regions get different additives), time of year it was refined/purchased, quality of the crude oil from which it was produced, etc. Today's "cleaner" fuels have many additives that break down quickly.

Most of the gasoline that you can buy in the lower 48 states will start to degrade within 30 days of being refined if kept in a vehicle's fuel tank or a plastic jug in your garage. If you have perfect storage conditions (airtight, metal containers in a temp controlled environment), you can push that back to 180 days. Fuel stabilizers can slow this process a bit, but not by much. She recommends that you keep your stored gasoline on a 60day rotation to be sure the fuel quality is good enough for most engines.

Personally, I don't keep any gasoline over 30 days old. Luckily, I live in a an area where I can ride all year, so I don't keep my vehicles sitting with fuel in the tanks for very long.

For long term storage, diesel is your best bet. That stuff can last for years I keep several hundred gallons of diesel on hand for our generator...just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts