Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything special I will need to replace a gasket on the little cover below the sprocket cover? I think this is where I have a small oil leak, and I bought a new gasket for it. But before I delve headlong into this project, I thought I would run it by your expert minds first.

cheers, jason

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jason, I've replaced that gasket too. It's a simple job, nothing special about it. Remove the sprocket cover, then the sprocket. You'll need to drain the oil, I waited until I needed to do an oil change as the leak really wasn't too heavy.

Strange thing is.......mine STILL leaks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So........This leak is something I will have to deal with? Just like you, mine is not huge, just enough to be annoying. I hope that by replacing the gasket it will solve the issue.

cheers, jason

·
Registered
959 Posts
There is a sealer out there call the Right Stuff. Comes in a Cheese Wiz Can. Clean the affected area with a quality brake clean, use the whole can if necessary(brake clean that is) then apply the Cheese Wiz. I used this Right stuff to stop the coolant leak from water pump to timing cover plate on and old F-350 diesel with great success.

Steve, Gears et al

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy:

·
Registered
669 Posts
On 2006-11-23 09:25, customcafe wrote:
So........This leak is something I will have to deal with? Just like you, mine is not huge, just enough to be annoying. I hope that by replacing the gasket it will solve the issue.

cheers, jason
As the other guys have suggested you might want to supplement the gasket with something else. I'll wait till the next oil change.

·
Registered
669 Posts
On 2006-11-23 15:05, Spyder94 wrote:
There is a sealer out there call the Right Stuff. Comes in a Cheese Wiz Can. Clean the affected area with a quality brake clean, use the whole can if necessary(brake clean that is) then apply the Cheese Wiz. I used this Right stuff to stop the coolant leak from water pump to timing cover plate on and old F-350 diesel with great success.

Steve, Gears et al

Steve, is this stuff applied externally or on the gasket and sealing faces?

·
Banned
798 Posts
SpyderMan, wouldnt a little Immodium AD work too?! It usually helps me with my slow leaks!!

kjazz

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-11-24 07:04, Motley wrote:
On 2006-11-23 15:05, Spyder94 wrote:

Steve, Gears et al

Steve, is this stuff applied externally or on the gasket and sealing faces?

You could do it either way. If you apply it to the gasket, use a thin coat to the gasket surface (both sides). You can also use it on the cover surface and not use the gasket. This is commonly done on ring and pinion covers on GM trucks which are notorious leaker's. Stops the leak every time. Be careful with this sh*t, If you use to much it will squeegee into the cavity and contaminate the oil and possibly plug up a oil passage :mad: :(

Jazzdude, If you would stop drinking cheap beer, you would not have to use "Immodium AD" to stop the slow leaks. A good supply of Sam Adam's Porter will cure this issue.

And no, I am not being anal retentive!!!!

Steve, Gears and all things anal menchanical.

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy: :moon:

PS: Old Nortons never die, they just get one more head job

:-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts