Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
All triumph use a min of 89 octane in the US. Other countries will vary depending on how they figure octane ratings

·
Registered
441 Posts
If 89 is regular in your area then that is what to use. In my area 87 is regular 89 is midgrade and 92 is premium. Of course my car uses diesel, so I don't buy gas for anything but lawnmower and bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always go for the highest octane. Where I live its 91... especially with gas prices being back to as low as they are now, it's easily affordable to go for the better gas. Your bike will thank you

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Unnecessary additives don't do your engine any favors. I'm not saying they will definitely hurt your engine, but why put other stuff in your gas that isn't needed? I always use the lowest octane that will let my engine run smoothly. Even on my Daytona, that's usually 87 octane.

But keep in mind that I live at >7000 feet above sea level. At lower altitudes, I might have to go up to higher octane. You can get away with lower octane at higher altitudes because the actual pressures in your combustion chambers are lower. That means lower risk of predetonation or knock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm at about 1,000 ft above sea level, so I'm doing fine with my choice...

The biggest thing I believe in when getting gas is the brand/station you choose. The cheaper, no-name gas stations may have fuel for 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon, but they also may not be up to par with quality of fuel, cleaning out contaminants from their tanks/pumps, etc. I always feel my bikes have run better with fuel from a more well-known place like Chevron or Mobil.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
A higher quality gas station may well have higher quality gas, but octane is not a measure of quality. Higher octane gas is not better, it's just harder to burn.

HiDesert is correct that the right octane is the lowest that will run without pinging; Triumph specs 89 US for everything I'm aware of that's ever come out of Hinckley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm at about 1,000 ft above sea level, so I'm doing fine with my choice...

The biggest thing I believe in when getting gas is the brand/station you choose. The cheaper, no-name gas stations may have fuel for 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon, but they also may not be up to par with quality of fuel, cleaning out contaminants from their tanks/pumps, etc. I always feel my bikes have run better with fuel from a more well-known place like Chevron or Mobil.

You are very much on the right track here. Go to www.toptiergas.com for a full explanation. Using a top tier fuel is especially beneficial for fuel injected vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't know there was so much to know about gas. Thanks guys

after a busy 48 hour week at work in the Emergency Room, when I get home, I just wanna RIDE, with 89 or 91 octane in the tank...know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gas

I've got a 1999 Thunderbird 900... I run 87 octane in it. I've also got a 2002 Bonne America... went on a camping ride with my wife last summer in a good rain. She was on the Bonne and it started running really rough, especially at startup and in low gears, after we filled up on gas. I thought it might have been from the rain. But, when we got home and I cleaned out the carb, the problem was evident... a bunch of dirt and crap from the gas tank of the station we filled up at... an off brand that happened to be there when we needed fuel.

I've also got an '86 Honda Rebel 450 and a Suzuki M109R. All run happily on 87 octane but I'll be sticking to good quality brand-name gas from here on... and not when a tanker is filling the station's tanks. When in doubt, I'll run 89, but for the most part, I get fine performance from 87.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts