Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has surface rust visible inside from the previous owner not storing it properly (my best guess). Has anyone had experience with the KBS coatings kit?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Different products

I've never used that one but I have used two others (happens when you buy a lot of old POS's!)
Kreem used on an old /5 Beemer tank. End result was OK but it was a pain to work with and I am not sure it got all the old junk out well. IIRC the instructions were to add rocks or old bolts etc... into the tank with the mixture and shake vigourously!
POR 15 on the other hand used a chemical reaction to etch the inside of a Yamaha XS850 tank and then the coating bonds with that sort of. Better product IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Well, I have used the Kreem on several tanks with good results. It is a 3 part system with an etching agent. You do have to be on top of your game when you use it - but you can get good results.

I'll try one of the other systems next time, since you folks seem to think they are easier...

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Scott,I haven`t used the Caswell yet,but over on the JockeyJournal,its been highly touted as THE stuff,for ease of use and sealing capability.
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 on the caswell. Very good results. If I remember you have to clean the tank with acetone, so be careful of your paint.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I have used POR 15 a few times, and provided you follow the instructions and take care with the preparation, it is a permanent fix. The only downside is that it takes a week or so to cure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
tank sealer

there is also a sealer called redkote, you can get it at radiator shops. i have had it in my tank for 9 years now, works great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts