Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed my gas tank when I had the skins painted. I assembled everything, added gas and restarted the bike. The bike ran for the amount of time to burn the gas in the lines and shut off. Meanwhile the overflow lines on the gas tank are leaking gas from below the bike everytime I try to restart the bike. Could I possibly have the hoses or lines hooked up wrong. Please advise. :eek:

Thanks,
Sprint01

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Check wiring connection and has self-seaing pipe re-attached

I removed/refitted the petrol tank on my '06 Sprint this morning (duff alarm). There are two places where the tank's wiring socket can be attached to. Used the right one? It should be the one that was in use before the strip. I am not sure what the spare wiring connection point is for but the service manual makes it clear they are not inter-changeable.

Does sound like your self-sealing pipe-clip hasn't engaged fully, hence the fuel starvation and the engine runs on what is left in the delivery pipe with no fresh fuel supplied?

A good test would be to remove the tank and pipe and then refit the pipe to the tank, off the bike, to see if fuel flows when the self-sealing clips re-attaches to the tank? Maybe try this on the bike but I can't recall if there's enough room to check and catch any leaking fuel when the tank is in place, with the delivery pipe attached to the tank and the engine end of the pipe open.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Just when I put the pop corn down. :D

There is no 'overflow' fuel line per se coming from the fuel tank. The two hoses are the tank vent (w/roll over valve) and the scupper drain.

On the 05+, the vent hose connects to the front tank fitting, and the rear is for the filler cap scupper. Someone needs to verify if that is correct for an 01. I'm assuming that is your ride since you have not said otherwise in your profile.

Verify that the QD is connected correctly, and the two hoses are on the proper fittings and are not kinked/pinched, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sprint - Welcome - check the fuel connectors. If you have not had the recall done they are notorious for cracking. Also could be the top female connector (plastic also) cracked around the base. This can happen easy enough when playing around with the tank. With the proximity of the vent and scupper lines fuel could be leaking down the outside of these lines and appear to be coming from inside the lines themselves.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sprint - Welcome - check the fuel connectors. If you have not had the recall done they are notorious for cracking. Also could be the top female connector (plastic also) cracked around the base. This can happen easy enough when playing around with the tank. With the proximity of the vent and scupper lines fuel could be leaking down the outside of these lines and appear to be coming from inside the lines themselves.
Now that I think of it...youwill want to check the inner O-Ring on the fuel connector. leaks can come from that as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gas Tank Leaking

Thanks for the help. MVP44, you were dead on. The top female connector(plastic) was cracked at the base. I am waiting on one ordered from Bike Bandit.

Sprint 01:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sooo, just wondering but what happens if one were to say, I don't know, remove the roll over valve? Or perhaps out of curiosity pull it apart and have to tape it back together?

Not that I did this(ok I did) but just wondering.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Red,

Not really sure what may happen, but you might have to change your name to splattedredmisquito, or maybe friedredmisquito. I like that one better. :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Red,

You must be sure to install the roll-over valve properly!

It is installed one way for those of us North of the Equator, and 180 degrees different for DaveM and the others that operate South of the Equator.

pr

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Red,

You must be sure to install the roll-over valve properly!

It is installed one way for those of us North of the Equator, and 180 degrees different for DaveM and the others that operate South of the Equator.

pr
Thanks for clearing that up Pushrod I always wondered about that!;)

DaveM:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts