Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took off my gas tank to get it powder coated black. It's a black/white T100 tank, and I want to get my bike as close to looking like a Bonnie Black as possible...
Anyways, I got some questions about some minor details when I go to put the tank back on the bike.

1) The side knee guard things are still in perfect shape, any tips on a specific kind of adhesive to get those suckers back on? Or would I be better off just getting new ones?

2) Is that silver heat-deflecting liner on the bottom of the tank necessary to get back on or can I just throw it away?

Scott

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do a search on knee pads (no I don't mean put some on), no other way to say it. There are threads that cover how to do it.
As far as the heat shield, try a search on it. But it is probably on our bikes for a good reason.
Have fun on your new Bonnie.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured maybe some Liquid Nails from a hardware store would do the trick. I can't imagine the tank getting hot enough or roughed up enough to where even a strong super glue wouldn't hold the knee pads on...
The bottom of the tank looks and feels like it has some kind of heat resistant coating on it, but i saved that silver stuff and planned on gluing it back on too if I needed to. I'm going to ask the guys at the powder coating place 1) if they coat the under belly of the tank and 2) if they think the tank already has a heat resistant coating on it...

thanks for the response Ray...

And on a scale from 0 to "oh my God this is impossible", how hard is it to get the Air Intake off a Bonnie? I'm a beginner-to-novice mechanic at best, so just curious. don't want my new BUBs turning blue like the stock pipes... any one?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
There`s no special heat paint on the bottom of either of my tanks. As far as the foil heat shielding,one has it and the other doesn`t.No difference at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to the powder coating place about the gas tank and he said the powder coating can resist 400 degree heat, so I don't think theres any problem with the tank getting too hot when the motor is running...

·
Premium Member
17,465 Posts
Sure, the tank itself will be fine. But I'd rather run cool gas into my engine than hot gas. Although maybe you'd get better atomization in the fuel/air mixture in cold weather...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure the motor isn't gonna get much hotter than around 200 degrees or so, I'm not too worried...

Not sure what you mean by atomization of gas, I'm not that edumicated dude haha

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Something to consider...

You are on a trip. Weather is fairly warm out. you are running pretty quickly, bike is loaded with luggage and camping gear.

You stop, fill up with gas. and walk inside to grab a bit to eat.
Upon returning to the bike you find a puddle of gasoline on the ground under the bike.

Why?

The gasoline comes from an underground tank at temp near 52 degrees. The heat of the air and the heat from the engine warm the gas enough that it expands and the tank overflows.

The heat shields under the tank could just maybe help to prevent that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts