Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my attempt to describe this but are the two wings that swirl rear ward from the tank badges available as decals ? I'm debating on doing them and thought why not try decals first.
Thanks,
ed

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
These are called scallops and at the factory were hand-painted with no particular set pattern....I think? :confused:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never heard of these scallops being availabe as decals- maybe there's an untapped market ou there ...?
Meriden did use decals first for the TR7T Tiger Trail in the form of the 'Triumph' logo within a stylised 'T' and then with the gold-lined, multi-coloured scallops of the TSX. These were hard to apply as one decal over the curve of the tank side so were cut in two with the eventual Triumph metal badge covering the split.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Someone mentioned the factory using a fibreglass template used to apply scallops.
Personally, made a sketch and measured the pattern at different points along the tank.

?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The scallops were painted and were not random. There are different patterns for different years and Meriden did use paint masks. The pinstripe was hand lined and differed between tanks in width. Different masks resulted in slightly different scallops within a model year. Unless your scallops are black or white a decal would look terrible. The tanks were usually candy paint over a silver, gold, or white base. A decal would have none of the depth that candy paint has.

Scott

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rows of the scallop paint masks are pictured in John Rosamond's book, "Save The Triumph Bonneville !"
I agree with Rookster's opinion, too.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rookster said:
The tanks were usually candy paint over a silver, gold, or white base.
My '78 had faded from CandyApple Red to Gold as it was 6 yrs. old when new to me.

The original red was still there under the gas cap!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I wasn't planning on using a decal permanently but only to try some different color schemes for a period of time.
ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts