Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode about 150 miles last night after dinner, and I noticed that my gas mileage was down in the high 30's. I'm usually high 40's to 50, and the only difference last night was that I did about 15 miles of interstate at about 85 mph, and then about 10 miles of dirt road in 1st and 2nd gear only. It was interesting to see what a big hit the mileage took with just those two changes. I have also added some blue Stabil for the past couple of tanks, as it is sometimes a week of hard rain before I can get out again, but I don't think that should affect the mpg.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm running a standard 98 (97 model) tbird. I like to open the throttle a lot and get 38 everywhere.

Rob

·
Banned
372 Posts
Either my speedo is off or I haven't gotten the hang of filling the tank to the same point each time cuz the last tank I calculated 55mpg. I'm probably puttin around compared to you guys though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Last tank I checked commuting back and forth to work I got nearly 55 mpg. BUT, we've got state cops , two county sheriff depts, two different city police depts, BIA and two tribal police depts. out there trying to raise revenue by writing tickets. AND, most of it is a double fine safety zone. I really have to get a radar detector.:(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Although theory and actual life doesn't always agree, fuel consumption cruising at 85 will normally be noticeably higher than at 50.

Riding in 1st and 2nd gear will typically make the engine use 2-4 times as much fuel as normal. For instance, even a Toyota Yaris can be persuaded to deliver only 3 mpg under full acceleration in 1st gear, whereas it won't drop below 16 mpg if floored in top gear. And even using very little throttle, it is difficult to get as much as 15 mpg out of 2nd gear, not to mention 1st.

·
Registered
411 Posts
After dinner is a bad time to check gas mileage, wait for the pies to go through the system before mileage checks. Following a Rocket 3 on a full belly is not recommended by Triumph, see Factory bulletin sect 3 (pies and their effect on acceleration and gas consumption) 2008.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After dinner is a bad time to check gas mileage, wait for the pies to go through the system before mileage checks. Following a Rocket 3 on a full belly is not recommended by Triumph, see Factory bulletin sect 3 (pies and their effect on acceleration and gas consumption) 2008.
LOL! Actually, if it is mincemeat pie, I actually get better mileage due to having 3 exhausts working as opposed to 2:)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
First of all, we have people different carbs chiming in here.

The Mikuni Carbs didn't get as good gas mileage as the Keihins.

Mikuni's typically get high 30s and Keihins get high 40s.

My stock '99 Legend (Keihins) used to get 52 mpg. When I added FCR-39s and pod filters, suprisingly it stayed at 52 mpg. When I put the Sprint Cams in, I dropped to 42 mpg.

All that being said, if you're running a while at higher RPM than normal, you're mpg will be lower than usual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts