Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been averaging almost 47 mpg on my T-Bird and have gotten 50 mpg 3 or 4 times in the year and a half I've owned it. Yesterday, I got a BIG surprise. My tank wasn't empty. In fact, I only had to put 2.8 gallons in it, but I was going to be on some old back country roads and didn't want to chance getting out somewhere and not able to find a station. Anyhow, I added the info in to Fuelly.com this morning and my mileage was 57 mpg. I didn't believe it so I double checked the numbers I input and also manually calculated it. I don't know how I managed that kind of mileage, but I'll take it. :)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/patriotdaryl/thunderbird

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
thats amazing. I've been getting mid 30's on my 1700 with tors filter and one air mod and I'd kill for 40 MPG at this point. However i did find my plugs were quite worn and that could be it, so i'm in the process of checking a new tankful now after putting new plugs in friday. crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
356 Posts
thats amazing. I've been getting mid 30's on my 1700 with tors filter and one air mod and I'd kill for 40 MPG at this point. However i did find my plugs were quite worn and that could be it, so i'm in the process of checking a new tankful now after putting new plugs in friday. crossing my fingers...
Isn't putting new plugs in a fun time? :)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Do you really want me to go into it?! I already did in another thread, but in case you missed it, in short it took me about 2 hours, then another 2 or 3 the next day replacing the map sensor hose i unknowingly knocked off during the plug change and then trying to figure out why the tank wouldn't go all the way back down. Yeah, it's a real party !

·
Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
546 Posts
I have Hogslayers, dealer re-map, and UNI-air filter. I get 47-51 mpg if I ride speed limit or slightly above and don't really horse it on take off's. Around town with lots of stop light idling etc, I'm in the high 30's. Contrary to what others posted, my mileage didn't drop at all with the Hogslayer package I just listed. Goes to show the right wrist likes to please the ears!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been averaging almost 47 mpg on my T-Bird and have gotten 50 mpg 3 or 4 times in the year and a half I've owned it. Yesterday, I got a BIG surprise. My tank wasn't empty. In fact, I only had to put 2.8 gallons in it, but I was going to be on some old back country roads and didn't want to chance getting out somewhere and not able to find a station. Anyhow, I added the info in to Fuelly.com this morning and my mileage was 57 mpg. I didn't believe it so I double checked the numbers I input and also manually calculated it. I don't know how I managed that kind of mileage, but I'll take it. :)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/patriotdaryl/thunderbird
Maybe they forgot to put the ethanol in that batch of gas. Do you add any thing like Startron or Stabil to your gas? I use the Startron 'cuz gas can spend a month or two between fill-ups in my tank. When I get to where I ride out a full tank in a day or two I'll see how she does without it.

56R

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have Hogslayers, dealer re-map, and UNI-air filter. I get 47-51 mpg if I ride speed limit or slightly above and don't really horse it on take off's. Around town with lots of stop light idling etc, I'm in the high 30's. Contrary to what others posted, my mileage didn't drop at all with the Hogslayer package I just listed. Goes to show the right wrist likes to please the ears!
I was talking to the Service Manager at my Dealer about the tune(s). The basic premise is to keep the 14:1 air/fuel ratio with the improved air flow through the exhaust and/or intake. As he explained it, the mixture becomes more efficient requiring fewer RPMs to deliver the same torque to the drive train.

I bore this out in my '05 5.4L Ford truck when I put a cold air induction system (sadly FRAM discontinued these) on the truck. Before 2000 RPM delivered 71 MPH on the highway. After I got 73 MPH at 2K. When I added a single stage exhaust with dual tail pipes I got 74-75 MPH at 2000 RPM. The 2-3 MPG increase (3 without running the air 2 with it on) was interesting in that I only lost 1 MPG with the air on as opposed to the 2 I lost before the conversion.

I am seriously considering (almost ready to rob the piggy bank) using your combination of tune, intake and exhaust. I gotta ask, how do you like it? Any regrets or bad side effects?

56R

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you really want me to go into it?! I already did in another thread, but in case you missed it, in short it took me about 2 hours, then another 2 or 3 the next day replacing the map sensor hose i unknowingly knocked off during the plug change and then trying to figure out why the tank wouldn't go all the way back down. Yeah, it's a real party !
Didn't you get new plugs with the BB installation? I would have thought that was SOP when changing out the pistons and sleeves. Me, I'd have broken one or both plugs just 'cuz I was removing the jugs. :eek:

56R

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe they forgot to put the ethanol in that batch of gas. Do you add any thing like Startron or Stabil to your gas? I use the Startron 'cuz gas can spend a month or two between fill-ups in my tank. When I get to where I ride out a full tank in a day or two I'll see how she does without it.

56R
No, I'm in Florida and ride year round. My bike never sits for more than a week or two without being ridden.

·
Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
546 Posts
I was talking to the Service Manager at my Dealer about the tune(s). The basic premise is to keep the 14:1 air/fuel ratio with the improved air flow through the exhaust and/or intake. As he explained it, the mixture becomes more efficient requiring fewer RPMs to deliver the same torque to the drive train.

I bore this out in my '05 5.4L Ford truck when I put a cold air induction system (sadly FRAM discontinued these) on the truck. Before 2000 RPM delivered 71 MPH on the highway. After I got 73 MPH at 2K. When I added a single stage exhaust with dual tail pipes I got 74-75 MPH at 2000 RPM. The 2-3 MPG increase (3 without running the air 2 with it on) was interesting in that I only lost 1 MPG with the air on as opposed to the 2 I lost before the conversion.

I am seriously considering (almost ready to rob the piggy bank) using your combination of tune, intake and exhaust. I gotta ask, how do you like it? Any regrets or bad side effects?

56R
The only side effect is that my cheek muscles start hurting inside my helmet because I can't get rid of the GRIN. I love my setup. The only negative side effect if you can call it that is that on hard decel the pipes get a little crackly(backfire is too strong a word) but if you've been around bikes at all it's a real familiar sound and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm not connected to my bike on a subdural level so I can't tell any startling difference in power or performance, but the sound is very pleasing and it does seem as if it spins in the upper RPM's a little easier, not feeling so "tight" or constricted, if that makes sense. I highly reccomment it to anyone.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Didn't you get new plugs with the BB installation? I would have thought that was SOP when changing out the pistons and sleeves. Me, I'd have broken one or both plugs just 'cuz I was removing the jugs. :eek:

56R
Nope. The guy who did it is a scammer. I asked for a certain price, he agreed. But to make up for getting less than he wanted.....get this.....he even re-used the old coolant ! So of course he didn't change the plugs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I really meant that tongue in cheek... having done a spark plug replacement myself, I know what a royal pain it is to do. Just getting the tank off is a bit rough, and then when it comes time to pull those plugs, getting a spark plug socket down in there past the wiring harness (we won't talk about the contortions required to get it down the right hand outboard socket, which has the frame sitting right above the hole...)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
yeah, it's a lovely way to spend your saturday ain't it?:D Wish they made an iridium plug in our heat range....those things last nearly forever.

·
Registered
2010 Thunderbird 1600
715 Posts
In fact I was going to check mine today, so I started on the outboard right side and fumbled around for sometime before I said screw it and put the rest back together. 1,400 mi. till 12,000 mi. service , than I'll worry about.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Thats exactly what i was getting as a stock 1600. 42 average with occasional dips to the high 30's when really beating it and as high as 46 in rural areas. I never ride like grandma long enough to have gotten 50 like some do, but i bet i could have gotten that if i did. But then why own a Tbird if you're gonna ride it like it was a 400?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't ride like grandma, lol. It is true I don't flog my bikes, however. Actually, most of my riding is in rural areas. Btw, I'm running Hog Slayers and the TOR tune. Here's me having a bit of fun at one of my club's "Skills Days" (we have them once a month).

·
Registered
2010 Thunderbird 1600
715 Posts
Thats exactly what i was getting as a stock 1600. 42 average with occasional dips to the high 30's when really beating it and as high as 46 in rural areas. I never ride like grandma long enough to have gotten 50 like some do, but i bet i could have gotten that if i did. But then why own a Tbird if you're gonna ride it like it was a 400?
That is a combind average. It gets 36mpg when I rip it:D But also I've got 57mpg highway only, so I'm pleased either way:)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I just discovered something today that may lead to better mileage. Actually, i didn't discover it, Dizze or "dizdog" as he's called here mentioned it at the other place. He mentioned better torque with the seal around the filter. So i decided to put my seat duct back on and put some sort of seal around the filter as they come stock. Mine never really had one when new because when new it was 1/2 torn off. So i just pulled it all the way off, then later removed the duct. Today i reinstalled the duct and used some foam sticky back gaskets used for speakers to build up a seal. Got on the bike and holy $%^# !!! Man, he was dead on about that. Torque up the ying yang. It's never run this strong. So being that it's getting more power with the same amount of fuel, assuming i ride the same i should get more MPG because it will take less fuel to propel the bike at the same rate that i usually do. But even if not I don't mind....man, what torque ! Too [email protected] fun !

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Daz, I was getting about 35-38 on my newly installed big bore, I just started using Lucas Oil upper cylinder lubricant in each tankful and have been getting 40-43 on my commutes now, been using about 2 ounces per tank, it smooths out the mechanical noise a bit as well and it seems to spool up quicker and smoother since I've been using it. Got it at Autozone in a quart size to try it out, next time I'll get a gallon. I carry a little 2oz plastic container with me for fill ups. I like the stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.