Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 04 speedy since jun '05. I've put about 2700 miles on it. I consistently have to swtich to reserve at about 120 miles. I've seen alot of talk about 40+ mpg, and at my calculations, based on a 4.4 gallon tank, i'm only getting 27mpg.

My bike is completely stock, I run 89 octane gas, and I don't run it hard at all...ever. It seems to run fine, and I've had it into the dealer for it's 500 mile, and every 500 hundred for the chain.

Am I missing something here? Should I have it checked out? Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
744 Posts
the reserve on the tank is about 1.4 gallons. you have only burned around 3 or so gal when you change over. mine does the same, 120 miles to reserve. fill with about 3 gal gives 40 mpg.
cliff

·
Registered
175 Posts
alfacliff had it right. You don't have 4.4 gallons until reserve- it's 4.4 gallons total. Next time you fill up just compare your milage to the amount of gas you put back in the tank.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This topic has some good historical info if you do a search. I don't know about the subjective term of "don't run it hard at all". My bike is stock as well. I turned 10,000 miles on her today (started using it first of June 06). I get my worse mpg when I doddle along approximately 2500-3500 rpm. It surprised me as I was just out cruising along on some nice back roads looking at the scenery and assumed I'd get record mpg for the ride, NOT. I have repeated that low mpg with same type of riding. I usually get 40-45 mpg with the rare 50-52 mpg. I ride almost all mountain two lane with very twisty fun roads. I find mine runs very strong 4000-4500 rpm and this gives me a wide range with minimal shifting (drop to mid 3k or up to red line) and this seems to be "in the groove" for this motor. Today I drove approximately 170 miles and averaged 43+ mpg. I have a Triumph shield and I weigh approximately 220 lbs. Tire pressure and how you accelerate also affects fuel use.

Try this. Gas bike to ring in tank. Go for a nice steady ride with little or no stop and go traffic, lights etc. After 60-100 miles stop and gas up to same level in tank. DO THE MATH, not when I flipped to reserve, too subjective. REPEAT the process again being as smooth and controlling the traffic variables as best you can. Fill to same level in tank and DO THE MATH. After a couple of base line runs see what mpg you are getting. Again make sure tires are properly inflated, chain is adjusted and lubed with tires properly aligned etc. Then try using different rpm range and compare. No offense, but this is not a HD and you may need to run it in a bit and and at a little "harder" rpm's and then with more miles she will also loosen up some. She won't break on you, these are bullet proof under tuned motors with a conservative rev limiter.

Cheers!
BobW :-D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I made the same mistake, thinking I was getting about 30mpg, but exclude the reserve tank capacity and the maths does work. And BobW is right, you get better mpg if you go faster, in my experience. Commuting through town, stop/go, traffic lights etc, I would reach reserve sometimes in under 100 miles. If I'm out in open country roads, it can be 120+ before I chicken out and stop for a refill.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 2k5 SM and never hit reserve below 140 miles and usually hit it consistantly in the mid 150's so yes you do have a problem. My bike is stock with the exception of new after market pipes.

kevin...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Geeves -

I bought the same bike, at about the same time, have about the same amount of miles on it, run the same gas, and have found that everything posted here is absolutely true.

My reserve tends to hit at about 120-125, though lately I've been flipping over to the reserve around the 100 mile mark and refuelling by 130 miles. I commute to work once a week or so, and the low-idling, lane-splitting riding substantially effects my mileage. When I'm out riding open road, I can go over 130 miles on the main tank.

When I do refuel, I'm putting in about 3.3-3.4 gallons, which for city riding is not too bad.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
i try not to flip it onto reserve till it runs out. then you know you have a gallon left. if you flip it onto reserve at 100 miles, and forget, your done
G

·
Registered
385 Posts
I generally get 39 mpg on my 2004 speedmaster no matter what kind of driving I do. I use premium gas (92 octain) and try to buy Shell or second choice is Amoco/Exon. I use Seafoam every two or three tanks (2 oz per gallon) and lube my chain about every 4-500 miles, right after a ride, so it soaks in over night. I use a little 2.5 ton floor jack under the frame right in front of the rear tire and lift the rear a hair off the ground so I can turn it. I mark a spot on the tire with white chalk so I know when I have made a complete revolution and oil from the inside of the chair so when I ride next, centrifical force causes the chain lube to move through the chain from inside to outside both lubing the chair and pushing the dirt and old lube out.
When you check your mpg, always start with a full tank and then when you refill, that is the amount you used, not the size of the tank. Miles divided by amount used= MPG.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i generally get between 45 an 52 miles to the gallon. when i ride with the RAT group i usually stop for gas with the others. this why i have not been in a hurry to mess with the bike. the bike will run all day with the sport bikes . it doesn't bother me that i don't have to work on the bike a lot . i would rather ride. i also would rather enjoy the scenery and she does the twisties rather well.... i have grown enough to know when i have a good thing.. LOVE THAT BIKE! :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I never seem to run out before 140 but the road network I'm on is well designed so as not to be too conjested. I've also done just a little bit to my bike which allows it to breath better. I'm also just getting the pilot air adjustment screw settings about right which again makes a lot of difference to fuel consumption. While I'm at it, does anyone know for certain the best octane level for our bikes? My research suggests the higher the octane the more miles (k's in Aus) I get out of a tank. In other words, more bang for your buck. ?????

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have been getting about 48 npg on my 04 america. i dio run 91 octain in it. i put about 10,000 miles on it it 1.5 years. seems to be getting better as it ages. me too!!!!!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just got back from Bike Week in Daytona - you should all go if you haven't! I have an 06'America with 4,200 miles. We ran on average of 150 miles a day, some at 75-80 on the Interstate, some on small highways at around 60, and some in heavy, heavy, congested traffic. I started to run out consistently right at 135-140 miles. each time, I averaged 42 with the mixed driving. I do have TORs and rejeted carbs, and I put an 18 or 19 tooth sprocket (can't remember). The larger sprocket does help drop the RPM's on the road and will help your mileage. You can hear the difference.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
as far as octane, its not more bang for the buck, really.
the bikes call for 89 octane, so to use a higher octane than that is just a waste of your money.
to use less than 89 octane wouldnt be good
G

·
Registered
744 Posts
Now for the rest of the story. only about half the reserve is available till you lean the bike way over on the left side. there is a large ridge down the center of the tank that seperates the left side where the fuel valve is, and the right.
I just found that out yesterday at 6:30 am on the Kansas turnpike with a lot of 70 or so trafic roaring by me in the dark.
cliff

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was trying to recall what the sales man told me when I bought my 06 speedy and I thought he told me to use the 87 octane. I have been running about 120-140 on a tank.

My question after reading the other posts is this: Should I be running my tank down into reserve? I usually try to fill up around 100-110. I don't want to get stuck on the turnpike, been there done that.

I feel your pain.

John

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Be sure you fill the tank EXACTLY the same each time too. Thats hard to be sure of, but if you don't it will throw your results off. And use the same station/same pump each time.
You might also want to try a set of iridium plugs. NGK model# DPR8EIX9. Anything that makes more power from a given amount of fuel will help mileage, and while some don't notice it, i notice a definite small gain in power with them. Enough that for that reason alone they're worth it to me. You may or may not notice it, but i know they do and i would say you will likely get another 1-3 MPG. (if i recall i got 2 MPG more) Even if you don't notice anything at all at least you'll have plugs who's gaps will stay the same for a extremely long time and probably last as long as you have the bike ! $15-20 a set but IMO well worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts