Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions
1. What's reasonable gas mileage on a 95 S3?

2. Is it me, or is the sidestand designed to evoke terror every time you trust it to hold your bike up? It sure seems to have a fair amount of flex and give.

G

·
0 Posts
1. A '95 S3 doesn't get reasonable mileage. :razz: Seriously, it's almost the same bike as my Trident, so I'm guessing it'll get about the same mileage. I got 34 MPG last week, on a rare tank that got used almost entirely on the highway. A couple weeks back, I ran out of gas with 168 miles on the trip meter. That translates to just a hair better than 25 MPG. That tank was used during a week when I was working in Midtown Manhattan, in the worst traffic I've had to deal with in a while. My usual mileage seems to hover around 29 MPG, & that seems to be in line with what most people get.

The exception seems to be people who are running later ('98-up?) Keihin carbs. The Keihins seem to get 35-ish MPG pretty consistently. I've been thinking of picking up some late model T-bird carbs on eBay & rejetting, but I'm not sure how much work it would be & I am sure I don't have time right now.

2. The sidestand is not designed to evoke terror. It is designed to increase Triumph's profits by selling mirrors, indicators, levers, & various other bits that get destroyed in a tipover. :razz: Okay, seriously, maybe it's just designed badly. Later model Trophies use a different sidestand mounting bracket, which is much sturdier. You might find part numbers if you search the site, or you can try your local shop or give Baxter a call. The bracket's about $100 new or $50 used from Baxter. Possibly the best investment you can put into a T3 bike.

HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My '95 Sprint gets 34 mpg around town. I made a 2300 mile trip to California and back this summer. I averaged about 39 mpg on the trip.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My 95 Sprint delivered 41 MPG (US) regardless of how it was ridden.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i usually get low to mid 40`s mpg (UK) irrespective of pottering around town blasting the twistys or trundling down the motorway

G

·
0 Posts
If my math is right, 1 MPG US = 1.2 MPG UK, so 45 MPG UK would be 37.5 MPG US.

Time for a new thread... :razz:

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I get just over 30mpg on my 95 S3- tops 35ish.

Other T3's supposedly get better mileage...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all. I don't feel so bad now. Mine get an even 30 mpg with a moderate amount of throttle twisting.

Kit, thanks for the tips on the side stand. I get this cold pit in my stomach everytime I step off and look down as the side stand does this little dance like a 98 pound weakling in an Atlas bodybuilding ad trying to hold up 480 lbs of British terror. :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts