Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that it is warming up a bit here in Minnesota, I have noticed some gas smell from my 96 sprint. I lifted the tank to find that one of the larger gas lines is a bit cracked at the tank nipple. None of the lines have metal clamps or collars on them.

My question is, Is it best to get OEM factory bent gas lines, or can one simply go get generic gas line at a car parts store and snake it through yourself. some of the bends look a bit abrupt.

Then, how hard is it to connect to the carbs with them still installed on the bike.

Thanks for any help on this.
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a much worse case of fuel seepage, lifted up tank and could see that the pipe at the 3 oclock position on the fuel tap was all cracked and perished.

I didn't have any clips on mine either?.

I just took some standard fuel hose off of one of my many projects and didn't have any problems with fuel flow due to the abrupt bends.

The carbs were still on the bike so putting this tube on was a bit fiddly, couldn't get the new hose onto the little plastic T join.
Its in amongst the carb gubbins, right at the bottom.

I warmed the hose on my cup of tea and this time managed to put 1 finger under the carbs to stop that little t joint rotating downwards and with the hose, being warmer and more pliable popped on no probs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had this happen last year. I used generic fuel line from the auto shop. The hardest part to get right is the vacuum line. It bends 90 degress and sometimes get pinched when putting the tank back on. Be careful with that part and it's a piece of cake replacing the fule lines.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Generic fuel line is ok, 5/16 if I remember correctly. Be careful fitting the fuel line to the plastic T pieces between the carbs, as they can sometimes get brittle and break on you. If that happens taking the rack apart to replace the T is a real pain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bloody good! Thanks everybody for your replies. I will go get generic fuel lines.
Thanks for the bit about the warm tea, usually I drink cold beer while working on the bike so that would have made things more difficult.
Nice to get the experienced replies.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts