Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what might be causing a leak
(approx 5 drops per minute) of gas from the overflow valve?

It all started when I spilled some gas when i was filling up and it didn't drain down that hole underneath the gas cap, so I unscrewed the overflow valve and it was really clogged up bad. I don't know with what, but I cleared it out and now it will not stop dripping.

I can't think of why, perhaps some of ya'll have had this happen before.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hoses wrong way around. Tube without valve goes to nipple that leads to recessed hole under filler cap. Tube with valve goes to nipple that leads to raised hole that mates with filler cap.

Edit. The above is for 1050s. Don't remember 955, but I'd imagine it to be similar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine has started to do its dripping as well 1-2 days after I fill up. Its cause its still cold at night and starting to get warm out during the day.

Will always stop though after you get the level down a bit.

Not sure about your constant drip

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...so I unscrewed the overflow valve and it was really clogged up bad. I don't know with what, but I cleared it out and now it will not stop dripping. ...
Makes you wonder if it was deliberately plugged !

I had same problem with my tank - when I first got the bike I found it would leak when I filled and continue to drip until it got down to about 1/2 full.
I discovered I had a pin-hole leak in one of the drain tubes inside the tank.

I ended up removing tank, emptying gas and removing pump assembly and 'painting' a coating of JBWeld on the tubes.
I built up several coats & let it cure throughly before re-installing.

Have had no problems since and that's about four years now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks a ton ya'll.

Sounds like I've got some options to look at.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it stops once I get the fuel down.

Martin_R, I appreciate the heads up on the hoses, I checked and they were on correctly though.

It ain't hurtin how it runs, but its just annoying to have that little puddle there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Aren't these guys awesome? In particular, Martin_R and DEcosse are my heros. Seriously, it would take me 10 lifetimes to learn what they know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts