Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am new to the forum and the Triumph world but not new to riding. I feel I need to share my recent experience. I just traded my Moto Guzzi for a 2001 Speed Triple with 12,000 miles and love everything but the factory color, not to insult anyone but the Nulear Red was not my taste. I did like how bright it was warning off my nearby autos when I am coming but it had to go.
I decided to spray the bike but did'nt want to drop $300+ in chemicals and borrow a paint booth, sound like I'm a cheap bastard huh! So i went to the web and almost painted it with the spray can generic auto touch up paint when i discovered it is laquer and will be destroyed by gas spill the first time. i stumbled across a product called SprayMax 2K. It's a two part epoxy in a spray can. Did my homework on it and ordered up one can sandable primer, two cans custom color base coat one can generic silver and three cans Spraymax 2k clear epoxy. Just enough for the job I found out. Each coat took a can.
Began by wet sanding off the stock decals, spayed and sanded a few coats of the sandable primer where the decals once where, then she was ready for the base coat. Two coats of the blue and then taped off for the stripe and sprayed the silver. The base coat when on smooth as glass. Let that sit overnight to prevent any bleeding or wrinkles and sprayed three coats of the Spraymax about 20 minutes apart. Man did I have a sore spray finger by time I was done!
The clear went on much smoother than expected for living right at the beach with high humidity. At first I thought I was not going to sand and buff but since I wanted to really impress the friends with my spray can job I lightly sanded with 2000 grit and pollished her out. I am estatic with the results. I have sprayed many cars and bikes in the past when i had access to a shop and I can tell you there is no difference that I or anyone can see in the results.
Costs:
sanpaper / tape / dewaxer / polish = $25
Decals custom ordered on web = $ 35
Primer / basecoat / Spraymax 2K = 115

Anyway here's some pics:

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
That looks fantastic. I have painted quite a few things with a rattle can, and if you're patient you can get a really great result. That said though, what you have got going on here is really quite spectacular. Very impressed with the job, but the color choice as well. Nice job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... Now I know my wife wasn't just trying to make me feel good when she said "nice honey"! Now can you do what I have been asking you to do for the last week!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fantastic !. Did the stickers go under the clear and how did you harden/bake the clear coat before sanding and buffing or does it dry hard on its own. Top job Mate.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Beautiful!!

The OP is being modest. What we are seeing is his attention to detail, shop cleanliness, and meticulous reparation. Other than the sore thumb, the actual spraying is the easy part.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic !. Did the stickers go under the clear and how did you harden/bake the clear coat before sanding and buffing or does it dry hard on its own. Top job Mate.
The decals are under the clear. I aksed the maker if they could before I purchased them. The can has a bladder inside and a pin protruding through the bottom. Push the pin and the bladder bursts, just shake and it's ready. The mixture will last 48 hours in the can. Dries in 2 hrs after sprayed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well yes and no. The clear Spraymax 2K is a catalyst two part epoxy so it is hardened. It was ready for buffing in 12 hours.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Please let us knwo where ou can get th espray Max 2K paint-cant find a source Thx -HiVel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts