Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of dismounting, punching the code into the garage door keypad, and then getting back on to pull into the garage. The answer was a product called Garage Mate (https://bluemate.com/) -- it's a little bluetooth receiver that attaches to the garage door opener motor in about 5 minutes and 1 minute of programming time.

For my setup, I have the sena 10-R and iPhone7 -- I mash the center button on the Sena until Siri asks me what I want, and then I say "Open Garage Mate" -- the app opens and initiates "auto-click" (an option you can select in the app) -- about 90% of the time the door opens - if it doesnt, I have to take off my glove and press the button icon on-screen; 100% success with this method. I can start the process as I turn into my driveway, as the receiver has about a 50 foot range. Website claims it works for Android too but I don't have exp with that.

I think there are several other brands / implementations of this sort of thing, but this thing was cheap and I didn't need the internet connectivity that many other options offered.

Not trying to shill for this particular product (and if this is against acceptable use, please let me know & I'll delete), but it was a nice way to be a bit lazy that I thought others may wish to hear about

JM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Though this post is more than 2 years old, it was the newest on this topic that I could find. There are other older posts about using a cell phone as a garage door opener and I know that lots of newer garage door openers are WIFI ready, but I wanted to share my solution. Personally, I don't use my phone as a navigation device, so using the phone to open the garage door wasn't a good option for me. Instead, I wanted to utilize an existing garage door opener. The problem is that my remote is older and somewhat bulky (operates with a 9v battery), so finding the proper hack was the tricky part. Here's the video that inspired me.

For my Street Twin, I used velcro to mount the garage door opener's guts inside one of the side panels and drilled a half inch hole for the momentary switch on the front inside edge. The switch location I chose is easy to reach yet sufficiently tucked away to prevent accidental usage and doesn't detract visually.

If my remote was compact like the newer style remotes that use a button battery, I would have drilled a small hole in the case to run wires to the momentary switch. So, for me, the most difficult component to find was a suitable container for the circuit board and battery. I ended up using the plastic case for a travel pack of Q-tips. Given that I only had to purchase the momentary switch and the Q-tips, the whole project cost just $10. Well, add $5 since I also had to buy a new battery.

Now, I just roll up to my closed garage, reach down to press the secret button and roll right in. It's awesome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts