Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on tossing a set of fork gaiters on. Anything I should know...I see some on EBAY but they look like all pre-unit.....I also saw a set of BMW gaiters which I know CafeTbird runs but can't tell if they fit by description.

Comments...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I got a set from Bellacorse, and may get my forks back together today. I'm doing springs and fluid changes, so I have a bit more to do, but I'll post a photo once I'm done. They do look great in the bag!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SVEY, thanks.....I will probably go that route.

Hey- you heading to Bennington?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yes, I'm coming to Bennington, and I even bought a new Triumph one piece rainsuit, so I'll be there even if it snows! That is of course, if I can get these freakin' tires changed:(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes. The Euro Gaiters are a waste of money. The disintegrated on me as well. The price was not worth having to remove my forks, fit them, and then cut their deteriorated mess off of my forks about a year later with my Swiss army knife.

I have no experience with the Super Gaitors. So ein gluck.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Remove wheel?

I just bought the Triumph gaiters part #A9638018. The instructions tell me to remove the front wheel and fender.

Why wouldn't I just let the complete fork assembly with wheel and fender still on (after unhooking the speedometer cable and front brake caliper) slide down from the triple tree. To me that sounds like a lot less work and with less potential to get the wheel alignment all messed up.

What did the rest of you gaiter installers do?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Removing both Forks with fender and Wheel attached would not be too bad, Awkward to say the least, if you can raise the bike high enough to accommodate that.

BUT reinstalling all that at once will be very difficult.
might as well take it apart to begin with and save your self some trouble.
Well, you and Scot have a huge amount of practical knowledge of these bikes so I guess I'll have to remove the wheel and fender.

Thanks very much.

Rick

·
Registered
411 Posts
the guy l bought my TBS off of, fitted new Bonnie gaiters for me and it was a strip down job.He had a hydraulic lift which made it easier. They were such a good fit that they did not need any form of clamp (so far).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up with a pair of BMW gaitors....ordered em before the responses...I'll give me a whirl for the year or two...anyhow, took 1/2 to install as I can drop the front end pretty past...my question is (especially scott as he had these on from earlier pics), as these came without instructions....do you pry the lower end of the gaitors over the dust seals and plunger? If so, any tips as they are ragingly tight....I can't see how these will fit over unless I heat them up a bit and pry them over with something non metallic......

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My thoughts exactly...seems awful tight, thanks Scot!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Here are the ones from Bella Corse. They fit perfectly, with a good snug fit top and bottom, but not so tight as to tear.
April 172009 001.jpg

April 172009 003.jpg

·
Registered
935 Posts
so how are your BellaCorse gaiters doing ssevy? i'm looking at getting a pair since i have to replace the left fork seals now that it's leaking more. also could you post up a profile (side) pic of your bike? i'm curious how it looks from a distance

·
Registered
935 Posts
ooo i likey! seems like it a high quality set so i'm gonna get them when i get paid for my side-contracting work next month. thanks for the great pics, wish i owed two triples :p

on a side note, did you buy your knee pads through BellaCorse also? i was going to pick them up in the same order since i don't have any yet and i really like the look

1 - 20 of 33 Posts