Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what everyone's preference is. Penny currently has fork protectors, but I will will be changing them for gaiters at some point. Because gaiters just look cool. And a newbie rider (only entering my third year), changes I make are as much aesthetic as they are practical/functional.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Back in the day most bikes had gaiters and we removed them because it looked cool.

Then we started buying fork tubes and fork seals.

Then we put the gaiters back on.

With today's parts prices I love my gaiters and they look great on my T100.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I installed mine when I had to replace my fork seals. It was probably a 50/50 mix of not wanting to do that job again and the aesthetics of improving the retro look. I used the excellent step by step tutorial on here ( I believe it was done by Propforward) to accomplish the task as the photos and commentary provided insight not found in the repair manual. My wife held the tablet and patiently scrolled back and forth providing assistance and encouragement. Good luck on your project!

·
Registered
341 Posts
The cheaper gaiters quickly end up as a collection of "O" rings, as someone else memorably wrote. For my 650 Tiger, I bought the cheapest gaiters from ebay, and they did indeed end up as a collection of "O" rings within 12 months. I then paid a bit more for a set of gaiters from Andover Norton, which have lasted a couple of years so far.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I like gaiters on retro style motorcycles for looks and fork tube protection :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Without gaiters you will be replacing oil seals more often, dust, dirt kills seals, OEM quality gaiters will stop the dust and dirt getting into the seals, I was replacing seals every couple of years on my Norton, after fitting good quality gaiters 10 years ago haven replaced the seals since.

Ashley

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed mine when I had to replace my fork seals. It was probably a 50/50 mix of not wanting to do that job again and the aesthetics of improving the retro look. I used the excellent step by step tutorial on here ( I believe it was done by Propforward) to accomplish the task as the photos and commentary provided insight not found in the repair manual. My wife held the tablet and patiently scrolled back and forth providing assistance and encouragement. Good luck on your project!
Unfortunately as I don't have a garage and currently only have basic tools, I will be unable to do this myself. Gonna take it to my local motorcycle mechanic and get them to do it. However, am gonna wait until I have also got the new front indicators and headlight bracket and get then to do everything in one go.

Don't cheap out, use the OE Triumph gaiters. Most report the cheaper aftermarket ones do not last. OE Yamaha Bolt gaiters may be another good choice.
Indeed. The only time I gave pause was when I saw some gaiters on Norman Hyde website. But I will be going for quality parts for all the mods I do. Sometimes that mes s you pay a little extra, but it is money well spent in the long run.

I like gaiters on retro style motorcycles for looks and fork tube protection :)
I love the retro looks of Penny. All except for all the chrome. But, that will be coming off/replaced in due time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Retro look = Gaiters, or is it Gaiters = Retro look? No contest, must have gaiters.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What kind of bike is Penny?

·
Read Only
165 Posts
Gaiters (gasp) what's next - knee pads? I may need to come up with a drum brake conversion for the modern classics.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Gaiters (gasp) what's next - knee pads? I may need to come up with a drum brake conversion for the modern classics.
Oh I don't know... a Ceriani 4 leading shoe GP front brake would be kinda cool on a modern classic twin... if you know how to make one work right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I fitted (cheap) gaiters to my T100 for a vintage look and two years later they failed. After cutting them off with scissors I was so much more happier with the look. I'm after a stripped down US look rather than a traditional British look, so it worked for me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still undecided about knee pads.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Another vote for OEM Triumph gaiters. After 171,000 miles on my 2010 Bonneville, my fork tubes look brand new, and the fork seals are still leak free under the original gaiters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts