Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Gaiters on my 74

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  KADUTZ 
#1 ·
I like the look of the gaiters on the T120/140. My bike has the more modern no gaiter look. Are there parts that make this work? I thought the UK models kept them for a few years? I am rebuilding the forks with springs and seals this week and now is the time to do it.

Brian

#3 ·
I have just done the fork seals on my 1971 Tiger TR6R and elected to try the Commando gaiters.... they look good and also cover up the "thinning" chrome. Here is a point to note if you go ahead, fully fit the bottom of the gaiter before you put the front guard back on !!

#6 ·
Funnily enough, I got rid of mine for a "cleaner" look. I don't ride much in the winter now.

USA /non gaitered bikes have 2 rubber parts on the stanchions that you need to remove.

One is just a rubber trim piece to finish off the stanchion to yoke junction,
The other is a rubber cover on the junction of the stanchion/lower leg.

If the gaiters don't have a breather, make a small hole on the underside of the bellows. Otherwise they inflate on compression.

#9 ·
The gaitors are dimensioned with a smaller hole at the top, and larger one at the bottom.
Trust me, the gaitors won't fit if you try to leave the parts from the exposed forks on.

You'll need some lube to get them to stretch over the junction and a mug of boiling water is handy as you dunk the big end into the water and quickly slip them over the fork lower.

#11 ·
Hi Brian,

You'll need some lube
I use cheap furniture polish for both fitting and cleaning synthetic 'rubber' parts; it doesn't leave any slippery residue and the high levels of silicone in such polishes is apparently good for synthetic 'rubbers'. :thumb

twentyfive years ago i bought rubber gaiters
theyre still in perfect shape
Pffft! Only 25 years? :D I fitted a pair of gaiters to one my T160's when I gave it a big makeover over the winter of '82/'83 - "still in perfect shape" :thumb I think they're the legendary Commando gaiters, certainly that's what I bought for my T100 about twelve years ago, and what're on the T160's look the same.

Bottom of the gaiter is a tight fit on a Triumph slider, I use a 'narrow' (5/16"-wide) stainless hose clip from Dave & Richard Middleton to secure the top around the stanchion.

Regards,

#10 ·
twentyfive years ago i bought rubber gaiters made for a motocross aftermarket application. they have a 33 mm top i hold on with a nylon tie and a larger bottom that fits my 72 conical sliders perfectly-- i use hose clamps on the bottom.

theyre still in perfect shape

#13 · (Edited)
I left the stock upper rubber ring and fitted a stock triumph 97-3635 gaiter.They have 2" openings on both ends. I like the look with 12 rings. I put the existing upper ring on a dowel, put it in the drill press and used a rat tail file to cut a ring groove for the gaiter. Cable tie and I can't yank it off with a hard pull.

QUESTION? Picture #4 is the steering stop, I have no idea what this looked like before. Anyone have a picture?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.