Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has to live outside under a cover, I have an Oxford protex for it which is the best I’ve been able to find so far.
I’m no longer an every day long distance commuter and very much a fair weather weekend bimbler. If I leave the bike for more than a week guaranteed when I lift the cover off, every damned spider in the whole of bloody Kent has set up shop on, in or around my bike. It’s gross, I’m not phobic but I’m not keen on the little creeps either. And I’ve found some real big ones and a few that could even give awash sting equivalent nip like mouse spiders and tunnel webs. Each time it’s like a sprawling (crawling) metropolis, they’ve created a society and civilisation and then the wrath of me occasionally comes along and natural disaster occurs for them. But a week or two later and they’re back again putting f**king webs all over my handle bars and climbing around in my engine. Eugh!
Does anyone have any tips for keeping them at bay?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Spiders love warm places to hunker down. I can't count the number of times I have been driving my car only to have one of those little buggers drop down in front of my face dangling from a line of web. I remember almost driving off the road one time it made me jump that bad. Not that I have a fear of spiders but it was a bit of a shock.

Since you have to park your bike outside what about an outdoor solution. Some plants repel spiders, mint, basil, cilantro, and lavender. There are others that might work as well. So you could put a couple flower pots around the area where you park your bike. You could also treat your cover with a natural plant extract. Put a drop or two equally spaced around the bottom of the cover. You may have to do that every couple of weeks.

Not really sure what else you could do. Anything you spray would just wash away eventually.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Guess you could buy those glue strips for bugs and lay them in a circle around your bike, under the tarp. Hopefully sticky enough to catch them as they crawl on the pavement toward the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts