Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2006 I sold my Yamaha FZ1 for a Speed Triple. I have seen a few around latley and actually went to a dealer to check one out the other day. It is a great bike but...If I wanted to purchase one, I shouldn't have ridden the speed to the dealer. The speed triple is such a killer bike. Not many amenities but just fun. Every time I think I need a different bike, just have to ride the triple and I am corrected.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I had an R1 which really wrecked my neck, back and arms/wrists every time I rode it. It's a fantastic engine, so I seriously considered getting an FZ1. I erroneously bought a Bandit 1200 instead (which, by the way, had terrible carburation issues). I kept it for a while, then I test rode the S3 and the rest is history. I've had it longer than any other bike. I'll probably get another bike some day... but I'll keep the S3.

FZ1s are so ordinary.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i Had an 04 gsxr 600 that sat in the garage for 12 months after i bought the S3....never rode it once so i sold it......was going to keep it for a track bike but young family, new house and a lack of funds killed that idea....

·
Registered
530 Posts
The FZ1 is a fantastic bike, as are most Yamis.

My last bike was an FZ6 that I converted into a streetfighter and I loved it! Bike was well made, easy to work on, super reliable, and once I got rid of that nasty front fairing a damn good looking bike it I do say so myself.

As the FZ6 is the FZ1's little brother, I would only expect bigger and better things out of the FZ1. A lot of guys on my old forum upgraded to the FZ1 and I never heard a bad thing about it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I haven't had my S3 for very long but the Thruxton and R6 havd been collecting dust ever since. The Speed Triple is so darn addicting. Can't get enough of those darn power wheelies!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can really only think of one bike I've owned that was as fun as this bike (Honda XR650R plated) and it was stolen after only 3 weeks. It probably would have been a PITA for long term maintenance anyhow. ;)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Here's my $.02 on this subject...

I think pretty much any bike can be a great bike, and if your personal priority is just to have a two-wheeled conveyance then any bike will do. The Japanese are very good at making two-wheeled appliances, I've owned many of them myself. What differentiates some motorcycles is what has been mistakenly called various things; but it really comes down to SOUL.

These bikes don't just convey you from point A to point B, they transport you there while making you feel something special.

Hey, it's a real thing.

Look it up. ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
My CouchRocket (FZ1) was a great bike that did everything well, but it didn't have much character. I tweaked it hard, got tired of it so I sold it and bought the SIII. It had 40,000+ miles on it and didn't have a single issue during that time. Went to the Drag strip twice a year, a bunch of track days, several long trips, but there was something missing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the other former FZ1 owners above. I traded in 07 for my S3. The FZ1 was a great bike, super reliable, but lacked.... something. The snatchy throttle below 5k made me crazy, so smooth above it. Buzzing through neighborhood at 7k is not a good thing. And I was not going to rip into harness to install Ivans FCE to smooth it out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree with the other former FZ1 owners above. I traded in 07 for my S3. The FZ1 was a great bike, super reliable, but lacked.... something. The snatchy throttle below 5k made me crazy, so smooth above it. Buzzing through neighborhood at 7k is not a good thing. And I was not going to rip into harness to install Ivans FCE to smooth it out.
Similar experience to what I had with my FZ6. The bike was super reliable, and a lot of fun, but it def lacked in a few areas. For one, the buzzing I had around 7K was annoying, especially considering thats where the bike cruised when I was doing around 80mph which is my normal highway speed. The snappy throttle was also annoying, it was either on or off. Similar to the throttle was the clutch which had no friction zone at all. Both took some getting used to, especially the throttle when rolling on out of a turn.

Overall, though, it was a fantastic bike that looked great and performed very well. That being said, I am def happier with my S3 in more areas than one :D

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
My wife has a tricked out FZ1, it's fun, but I keep her off the Triple. She wants my triple bad enough just for the look, if she rides it much, game over.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You want a riding dillema? Put a Speed Triple and a motard in your garage. It makes for a tough choice every time I saddle up. They are both so much fun I realize that it really doesn't matter they are both gonna make me laugh out loud in my helmet.

I had an FZ1 as well. Lost it to due to a cager turning left in front of me. It was a great bike, but I agree, it lacks the character of the Speedy. I wouldn't mind finding a slightly used fully farkled model to set up for sport touring though.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I bought an FZ1 for a 7000 mile trip in the US last year. I was a great bike, did everything well, was comfortable, reasonably economical....but it was so .............whitebread!

One of the guys I was travelling with had an 05 speed triple...I swapped bikes with him every chance I got.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts