Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the bonneville and its derivatives can continue with present legislation. Could a liquid cooled bike be produced that would look the part, develop more power, be more ecconomical, and pass more and more stringent legislation be the future? If it looked the good, but had a lighter chassis and better suspension I think it could be a way forward. It would have to cost roughly the same as the present bike. Any thoughts?
Nic Lancaster. Lichfield England.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
. Could a liquid cooled bike be produced that would look the part
sure, it's easy. all you have to do is figure out a way to design and mount a radiator on a Bonnie and have it look like it belongs on a "classic" British bike and not a Kenworth.

I think you put a radiater on a bike, classic/retro just hurled themselfs out the window, puked on the way down and splatted on the pavement.

Somethings are stylisticly inconpatable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All things must evolve. A 1959 Bonneville doesn't really look that much like a 1979 Bonneville, does it?

We love our new Bonnies much as prior generations loved their generations' Bonnies. However, if you paid today for a bike that was built to the same standard as a 1970 Bonneville, you'd ask for your money back. Looks aside, nowadays we don't tolerate dodgy electrics, oil leaks, skull-numbing vibrations, etc etc etc.

A parallel twin bike, built in all the great traditions of the Bonneville: light weight, all-around capability, high performance, and stylistic simplicity could be made and could be called a Bonneville.

Keep the bench seat, the fenders, fork boots, tank shape, etc. Give it around 75bhp from a liquid-cooled 650cc parallel-twin. (650cc for tradition and to keep the size of the radiator small.) Keep the weight in the neighborhood of 400 pounds. That would give it Suzuki SV650-esque performance.

Ducati has proven time and time again that specific engineering or styling techniques don't need to be slavishly adhered to to retain the Ducati character. Triumph can certainly do the same. After all, the Tiger and the 675 don't share too many styling cues in common, but they are both obviously Triumphs, right?

I'd buy a completely modern Bonneville. It would not look out of place among the old Bonnies, much like a V-Rod does not look out of place among old Harleys. It looks like an evolutionary descendant, different, but obviously related.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
All things must evolve. A 1959 Bonneville doesn't really look that much like a 1979 Bonneville, does it?

We love our new Bonnies much as prior generations loved their generations' Bonnies. However, if you paid today for a bike that was built to the same standard as a 1970 Bonneville, you'd ask for your money back. Looks aside, nowadays we don't tolerate dodgy electrics, oil leaks, skull-numbing vibrations, etc etc etc.

A parallel twin bike, built in all the great traditions of the Bonneville: light weight, all-around capability, high performance, and stylistic simplicity could be made and could be called a Bonneville.

Keep the bench seat, the fenders, fork boots, tank shape, etc. Give it around 75bhp from a liquid-cooled 650cc parallel-twin. (650cc for tradition and to keep the size of the radiator small.) Keep the weight in the neighborhood of 400 pounds. That would give it Suzuki SV650-esque performance.

Ducati has proven time and time again that specific engineering or styling techniques don't need to be slavishly adhered to to retain the Ducati character. Triumph can certainly do the same. After all, the Tiger and the 675 don't share too many styling cues in common, but they are both obviously Triumphs, right?

I'd buy a completely modern Bonneville. It would not look out of place among the old Bonnies, much like a V-Rod does not look out of place among old Harleys. It looks like an evolutionary descendant, different, but obviously related.
Trel just gave me my opinion on it.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Cooling

Had the same thoughts 2 yrs ago! I got mine 04 Bonne. I think they will have to in the near future! Carbs are gone 1st. Cooling next! Why when people ask used 05 or new- I rec as do MANY others - go 05! Made in England w/ metal & NO plastic. I think just a better built bike. To keep the price down - madwe in Thailand & loaded w/ plastic now! Still ALL are Triumphs!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
There have been reports and pictures (current Australian MCN of a 1300 version of the new T Bird). I guess they could put that in a proper frame or utilise the basic deign principles to make an even smaller water cooled twin that would retain the new corporate style ques for the next generation of twins.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There have been reports and pictures (current Australian MCN of a 1300 version of the new T Bird). I guess they could put that in a proper frame or utilise the basic deign principles to make an even smaller water cooled twin that would retain the new corporate style ques for the next generation of twins.
Did the article say anything about the crank? Does the 1300 version have the 360 degree crank setup? Could any of the Triumph propeller heads out there lurking tell us if this is in the works? :motorbike2:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
If the Germans can do it .......

....... I see no reason the Brits cannot keep the Bonnie air/oil cooled for the next several years. The R1200 series BMWs are air/oil cooled, meet emission standards now, and have jumped from the original 90hp to anywhere between 109 to 122 hp, with an expensive OHC engine pumping out close to 130hp at the crank. There will always be an England ..... so, Triumph, why not?

Bob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Theres alot of momentum

Triumph Twins have been around along time and before any major changes occur,like the new Bonnie,their has to be a period of incubation, me personally I would never have spent my hard earned cash on anything but a Bonnie-Thats were Triumph has the market J.B.

·
Registered
268 Posts
X, sorry cannot really add anything. I was err reading the mag in a newsagent! recollection is just the photo - implication that a cheaper cruiser twin between the Thunderbird and the America was going to be coming sooner rather than later. I know its an ongoing debate but I do wish they would put a few more horses the Bonnevilles way. I happen to have one of the last Meriden Bonnevilles with a rubber mounted engine and swing arm - disaster really but it"did" perform just as well as the current bike in performance terms - that was 25 years ago and our riding environment has changed just a little. Whatever they do there will always be a market as long as they don't make the same assumptions as the old Meriden crew!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The when it come to the aesthetics of iconic motorcycles, market has a way of making the necessary corrections.

Sorry for the Ducati example on a Triumph board, but I think is sums this issue up really well. Take a look at what happened to Ducati with 916. Everything was going along great when they were making subtle changes, from the 916 to the 996 to the 998. But then they mad a critical mistake and departed from the underlying theme when the 998 was dropped for the 999. No one like the new direction and after a few years of lackluster sales, the 999 was dropped for the 1098. The new 1098 was a natural progression of the style and essence of the classic 916. And now sales are up, the fan base has returned, and they are progressing onward as if nothing ever happened.

However, that being said, I don't think it will be an easy task to take the Bonnie to the next level in terms of performance without raising the MSRP. Better suspension, brakes, and OEM rubber would go a long way in the right direction, but there would be price increase necessary to cover the cost of the upgrades. I'd like to see base Bonneville still offered with similar components at a similar price. And the T100 become more than just a cosmetic upgrade.

YMMV:cool:
JB

·
Registered
114 Posts
Honda have been working for a while on a hidden radiator for their cruisers that leaves the machine looking as if it is air cooled. The designs I saw put the radiator under the seat, somewhere near the rear fender. This was some years back and it's not around yet, so I'm assuming it didn't work or still needs tweaking... :mad:

I could see something like thisbeing added to the Bonnie if legislation gets really harsh.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ford did a great job of designing the new Mustang with both modern and classic styling. The Dodge Challenger and Charger look both modern and classic.

The old CX500s from the '70s look just fine with the radiator.

I see no reason why Triumph can't do the same. Besides, it would be nice not to have to worry about overheating in traffic jams!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you guys saying that Bonneville's might be liquid cooled in the coming years? That would be great! Right now I am looking for a new bike that can handle 100 degree stop and go traffic and I would like liquid cooling. If Triumph doesn't show signs of liquid cooling in the next 2 years, I will look else where.

I hope I didnt offend anyone! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts