Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Anyone out there tried a different shock (from a jap sports bike for example) on a st 1050 to improve the ride quality?

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi Nick,
there may be some one here who has but I do not recall it.

Have you done a search as there are quite a lot of long threads with different shocks fitted etc.?

My own stock Showa shock was rebuilt locally here to suit my riding style and the performance difference was nothing short of amazing.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shocks from 'another model' will most likely cost a bomb in re-valving & other setup costs. Chances are they'd be designed for something with different weight, different linkage ratios, different swingarm length, different front / rear weight bias, different top to bottom eye lengths etc.. There couldn't possibly be an easier way to open a can of worms IMO. Then again there just may be a bolt in solution out there that works a treat, and I wish you luck... I wouldn't want to be the first one to have to try one from scratch.

Dave's option (revalve / respring the stocker) costs a minimal amount and will smoke the stocker for performance. Chances are that once it's dialled you'd never know the difference between the revalved Showa and an Ohlins. Casey Stoner might though...

Spending up on a big bucks aftermarket shock does not take away the need for proper setup. You'll still be tinkering with clickers, preload and maybe wondering if you should go for a revalve if you're fussy.

Depends on your budget, how much 'bling' means to you, or whether you're just after a real improvement for not too many $$$. To go 'fully adjustable' is great, but I've only met a handful of people in 30 odd years of racing who truly know what the clickers do AND can interpret what it means to for YOU.

Personally I'd love an Ohlins, but would rather spend the bucks on a holiday with the kids. Instead, a revalve / re-spring has me smiling from ear to ear and the kids are impressed as well..

Good luck, and if there IS a bolt on solution that just 'works' it would be great.

:)

Cheers & Beers,
Muz

·
Registered
95 Posts
revalve / re-spring is the way to go.

Hi All.

I Fitted VFR honda rear shock(about 15-20mm shorter) so that I could get my feet on the ground ,the VFR is the same weight as the sprint so I thought it would work.

Well my feet could touch the ground, but the shock is just wrong for the spint. Like Muz said the different linkage ratios, different swingarm length, different front / rear weight bias ect . come into play.

Static sag of the rear end with no preload was 5mm , sag with me sitting on it 10mm. two up 20mm, the spring was way to stiff .

I rode the bike for 6 months with that shock on . Then I came off on the other side of MT Glorious at 100kmh and blamed the slipstone stock rear rubber ( Pitot on front ) . It seems that the shock might have helped the slipstone slip. something about if the spring is to stiff, the shock can't work to its full extent, sometimes causing loss of traction on bumps (not good on fast bends).

I've put the stock shock back on , and turned the rear hub to lower the bike . New Road 2's front and back , all I need now is a a revalve / re-spring .

So what I'm trying to say is, stick with the parts that are made for this bike or you might find yourself sliding an your ass at 100kmh like I did.
:)
Hey Muz who rebuilt your shock? and how much did it cost ?

Cheers
ST Rider

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
ST Rider,
RAD Shockies in Brisbane do them all the time you will find them in the yellow pages. Or do a search here as I have posted it several times.

Mine was revalved / regassed/ reoiled and a 5mm spacer to the stock spring and it is superb. Mine cost $170.00, that is handing them the shock and telling them what you want how much you weigh and how you ride etc.

Here is their address and phone number.

RAD Motor Cycle Shocky Repairs

Ph; 07 3379 3302

707 Sherwood Rd

Sherwood QLD 4075

They service well over 100 motorcycle stores through out Australia.

Where on Glorious did you go down? I know it very well.

DaveM

·
Registered
95 Posts
RAD Motor Cycle Shocky Repairs

Thanks Dave:)

I've been building 15 apartments at 612 Sherwood Rd for the past year ( had lots of delays) and I didn't know that Rad were just down the road.

Now I have to change shocks again so I can have the stock one revalved / re-spring ,something to do on Sunday my only day off.

Yeh I feel stupid ,I came off on the lower part of Northbrock parkway
on the way back up the mountain. It was a gentle bend to the right , I'd dropped back from a few fellow ratbags, wanting to give it the beans to catch them again. Dropped it from 4th to 3rd mid turn (not much of a turn I tell you) and opened it up . Next thing I know I'm in the grass .
It was good in a way ,It made me get new rubber and put the stock shock back on . It also taught me to respect the power that these bikes have and not to do stupid things with it.

Live and learn

ST Rider

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Muz who rebuilt your shock? and how much did it cost ?
Paul Baericke at MPE (up at Beerwah). Heavier spring, Gold Valves and I can't tell you how much it was because he did the same to the forks at the same time - total job just on a grand. Contact him on 07 5439 0751 / [email protected] ...
Paul really knows his stuff and the valving specs seem to be on the money. Just tweaking the preload & rebound has got the rear to the point where it is simply beyond criticism of any sort (for me at least).

I'm more than familiar with the stretch of road that you mentioned and am glad you're OK - I live near Samford & usually check the post box via Mt Glorious or Mt Mee - must be going senile because it's usually not until I've ridden 30 minutes or so that I realise I've gone the wrong way and have to turn back and go through all of those twisty corners to get back to the post office.... silly me!!!! :D

Muz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts