Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this technique was introduced to me by my dealer

it wouldnt start; he said he started it by turning the throttle all the way- simple?; they still got me for "bad gas" (not from mexican food :) ); no my bonnie had water in the tank, fouled plugs and airfilter; not covered by warranty

now every once in a bit, even when she's warmed up, it wont start; and I crank the throttle

so what the heck is going on? (dont tell me its the gas cap venting, I try that first; I asked the guy if I should put something in the gas, and he said he wouldn't recommend it (i guess he prefers the 2.5 hrs labor charge :animad: )

·
Registered
386 Posts
Water in the gas?
I guess i would drain the carbs from time to time to get any water thats left over out.
There are drain screws in the carbs, and you can run tubes into a jar to inspect the gas you drain out.
Check the spark plugs as well.

Brett

·
Registered
505 Posts
Add about a pint of ethanol, methanol, or isopropyl alcohol to a tank of gas and that will entrain the water.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One ounce of Seafoam per gallon of gas. More (per gallon) is not 'better'. I cycle the stuff through all my vehicles every couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It is a way to get a motor with bad gas/bad jetting started, but it's a band aid. You need to find the problem and fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts