Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Bonneville. Yesterday almost immediately after gassing up the tank (full up), I went out to a parking lot to do some low speed refreshers and full-effort stops. On my second or third stop I came upon my first stop site and saw a fresh puddle about 5" across. I verified it was mine, was gasoline and not oil or brake fluid, and that I'd left a few others around as well.

I cut the engine to take a look, saw that the 'leaking' resolved itself after the braking event, took a few more runs around the lot and decided I must have sloshed fuel out the breather vent; no more fuel presented in the parking lot or at home.

This being my first bike, I decided to post up here just in case I'm totally wrong about the cause. Hoses are all intact, floats were checked in the winter. Oil level is good, nothing otherwise seems amiss. Am I off base here?

·
30,527 Posts
No I don't think you're off base. Even a little drip of gas spreads out and looks like a big puddle sometimes. The tank was maybe a little over full maybe?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Probably best not to fill up with fuel immediately before practising your emergency stops next time!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It should have a one way "tip-over" valve in the middle of it which is held to the front of the airbox, and from there it should be threaded through a loop of wire between the rear of the clutch housing and the frame (left hand side of bike) just in front of your footrest. Basically it comes out in front of your rear tyre!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I had a pump malfunction on me and I dumped gas all over my bike (stupid, because I'm always watching for that but let my guard down the one time it mattered). Anyway, I left the bike to sit for 10 minutes to let everything on the outside evaporate, and of course let the overage inside the tank run out the breather tube. I was surprised when, after it all appeared to be done, I got on the bike and another good shot came out the breather tube. It was because of the fuel sloshing around in there, of course. Anyway, every time I'd stop for the next half mile or so a little more gas would come out the breather tube.

It's fine, nothing to worry about, but try not to do it! Obviously gas isn't nearly as slippery as oil and it will evaporate off a hot tire almost instantly, but it's still best not to be lubricating the rear tire with anything!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
These Bonnies are very persnicity with a full tank of gas. Don't try to squeeze every drop in it. I've done that and as soon as I put the cap on and stood the bike up, it pissed several tablespoons out the overflow. One other thing is that here in the blazing S.W. I never fill the bike then go park it at work in the blazing sun. It will heat the tank, expand and pee all over it's self again.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Mike, my Bonnie does the same thing as yours. With the tank full, there's nowhere for the fuel to go when braking hard except up into the filler neck and down the overflow tube.

The real fun part is when the rubber line connected to the vent tube on the underside of the tank gets pulled loose and that gas dumps all over the hot engine.

--mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts