Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any? I love the comfort of the bike compared to a Sprint, but would like the full fairing. Does anyone make one aftermarket?
Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You didn't specify which bike you have, but I've kept my eye out for fairing options for my 2005 Tiger and have seen nothing. I've envisioned one many times, only to realize I talented with neither ABS or fiberglass.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've never seen or heard of a full fairing for a Tiger. The bike's looks and character don't call for it but I suppose you could add some kind of lower fairing to the crash bars, if you have them fitted.

Personally, I like to see the engine (chant like in Animal Farm: "Upper fairings good. Lower fairings bad. Baaa")

Jon

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can always buy a Sprint ST and put Tiger handlebars on it! :)

I think the Tiger was meant to be naked and proud. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree, but I've also wanted at times to have defectors of some kind to keep the wind from freezing my thighs and nuggets on cold days. A couple of legs on the fairing might have done it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A couple of the folk on other forums have had success with tank panniers. I'm going to get a set of Wolfmans for my Tigger in the near future.

I also test rode a R12GSADV the other day and was impressed with the little plastic winglets on the side of the screen and in the screen/tank juntion and how much air and turbulence they diverted. I should add that there wasn't much else that impressed me! Nice bike for sure, but no thanks......

I'd like to make winglets for the tank/fairing junction and the fairing/screen junction and see what effect, if any, they have

·
Registered
202 Posts
A friend with lowers on his bike says they really help. After seeing an ad for Wings, and how much they cost, I figured I could do a custom Tiger job because I don't need the colored plexi, chrome edging and shiny brackets.

Having TB crash bars gave me a basic frame to work with. Spent $20 on a 2' x 3' sheet of 1/8" black plastic (smooth side in, textured out) and another $5 on fasteners. Made some cardboard templates and cut out a set with a jigsaw. They attach twice along the outside verticle bars with plastic dipped pipe clamps and twice toward the engine with metal brackets. A heat gun makes molding the plastic easy. The second set fit a little better but getting the curves nice and smooth can be tricky. I will see how these work and maybe refine them a little more.

They will come off (4 fasteners each) when the weather is better and I want more ventilation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Got pictures, Anthouse?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking at the new Tigers. The Sprint is like trying to sit in a V compared to a Tiger. if there was a way to fit a Tiger Tank and Seat on a Sprint, we would be done w/ this thread. LOL!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Exactly. I chose the tiger because it was one of the few bikes that fit my height and leg length, and that had a standard riding position. The off-road component was purely a bonus, since this bike will be lucky if it even ever sees gravel again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tiger splash guards

This is my second try at making guards one snowy winter day. They mimic the old style canvas ones and I have gotten some compliments despite their hand made looks. They attach on the inside front with metal flat brackets. The sides and top front brackets are just plastic dipped pipe/conduit clamps. The right side bracket attaches to the top TB bar and bottom at the cooler bracket. The left is a longer flat bracket attached at the top TB bar and at the low end to the bottom of the TB bar. All have rubber mounts.

I would make the tops higher to deflect more air over the knees. Maybe cut them closer on the inner fronts. They definately deflect spray and wind but not as much as a fairing. With the low cost I am not worried about damage. They also allow use of the custom $12 fold up highway pegs and protect the $18 dual sport car horns. Yeah, I am just as cheap as everyone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like it! But I'm not sure it would be enough me...

My gentlemen's area didn't thaw until I'd been at work for a couple hours today! I'd really like to find a way to keep the frost off the nuggets without resorting to tank saddlebags...

Very cool farkle mod! :cool:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Get a cat. Needs to be old and kinda deaf. We have a Rat Pack member who rides with his dog - a Jack Russell - on his tank. A cat would be warmer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
......My gentlemen's area didn't thaw until I'd been at work for a couple hours today! I'd really like to find a way to keep the frost off the nuggets without resorting to tank saddlebags...
:cool:

It wasn't that cold in KC today, unless you have a hell of a long ride to work.

Insulated overpants like TourMaster or FirstGear & others work good for temps down to the mid 20s. Remove the liner, and they're good for temps up to the low 70s.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Haha! I'm trying to picture Puck (my Jack-Russel) riding on the saddle with me down the highway... he was a freak at 22lbs...

Poor "little" guy disappeared a few weeks ago from my folks house and has not been seen. He had been living down there the last few years because he wouldn't quick lifting a leg on my carpet... new carpet, no dog.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bagster option?

How about a Bagster Apron? I can't vouch for whether or not they work with a Tiger, but after having seen them on scoots and bikes in Paris in winter, they certainly would provide good protection .http://www.bagster.com/en/showroom.php?id=43

·
Registered
351 Posts
I rode into the bank with a leather jacket, gloves, but just slacks to cover my lower portions...

I have a pair of over pants coming in the mail, they just are not here yet.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like it! But I'm not sure it would be enough me...

My gentlemen's area didn't thaw until I'd been at work for a couple hours today! I'd really like to find a way to keep the frost off the nuggets without resorting to tank saddlebags...

Very cool farkle mod! :cool:
What about a sheepskin seat cover.....

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5858

i`ve got a touch of brainfade at the mo !! can`t post pics ?? i have done it before, haven`t i ??

i use this most of the time, you can pull it forward so it goes up the tank and keep yer veg warm ;-)

KK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts