Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wuz looking over a Rocket 3 today and noticed it's rad cap is nicer than the fugly thing on the S3. Seems stainless, but BikeBandit lists it as 'chrome'. Anybody having access to both bikes (R3 & S3) care to try and see if the R3 rad cap fits the S3.
Stainless or chrome?
S3 is rated at 1.2 bar, what's the R3 rad cap rating?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Aviator I'm working on this one too.
I've found two possibilities.

These guys do a billet one but it's for v8s so I'm not sure about size.

Billet

These folks do an interesting one with a temp gauge included. It might look fugly though.

cpc

AA

[ This message was edited by: amberale on 2006-12-03 16:35 ]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmmmmm...........a large choice there Amberale.
The one on the Rocket 3 is similar to this but in metal:

Premiere it's more a how it looks thing rather than wanting to have chrome. Having said that I very partial to non oxidising metals on my bike, stainless, inconel, titanium etc etc. Most chrome rusts eventually and if scratched is basically bu_gg_ered.
Stainless is easily repolished.
If the R3 rad cap is stainless and it fits the S3 it WILL get polished, and if it jars it will get a satin black coat. Plus it WON'T rust if stainless. I HATE rust

I have tried various rad caps from other bikes but none fit the S3.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Aviator. I agree about the non-oxidising metals.
Not loking for bling either.

I think the CPC thermo caps might be a bit bright, but nothing a spray of black exhaust paint shouldnt cure. It would also give an accurate top tank temp.

The Billet caps are too big. However they are a cap with a cover.
I think Imay be able to get the standard cap barstardisedand a cap made and fitted. Something like the billet standard brake MC cap fitted over the standard rad cap?

AA

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just an idea for you folks who (understandably) can't stand the radiator cap:

I believe the Speed Triple has a pretty standard copper cored radiator. Go out and find a radiator cap you like, and have your local radiator shop solder on a new port for the thing that fits. Probably this will cost you less than the new billet radiator cap you just bought!

Of course you'll have to drain the coolant and have Speedy down for a couple of days... That'll hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts