Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I discovered that over the winter the stock Mikuni fuel valve in the Bird leaked fuel into the carbs that were drained last fall. I was totally thrilled. I cleaned it and reinstalled it and of course it still leaked although very slowly.

This event caused me to mount a personal quest to find a suitable replacement. After weighing many options discussed on this here forum the decision was made to go with a vacuum operated valve and found one for a 1984 KZ750 that was brand new with the right spacing. I have yet to mount it but am confident it will be just fine which brings me to why I am posting this boring story.

I ran across another fuel valve that is exactly like the one I bought and decided to post it in case anybody had need for a replacement. The only thing you would need to do is use shorter mounting bolts and tap into one of your carbs for vacuum...:)

GPZ550 Fuel Valve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up about that. I'm very curious to find out how well this works out for you. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
So these take the 8mm fuel hose & just bolt up (with shorter bolts & vacuum connection)?

Good find ;)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So these take the 8mm fuel hose & just bolt up (with shorter bolts & vacuum connection)?

Yes, shorter bolts and the fuel outlet is 8mm. I am planning on installing this weekend and will keep you all posted.:)

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I have one just like it, and it has been working fine for years.

The only difference is that on mine, fuel exits towards the rear of the bike. The one you linked to will exit inwards, which may cause a tight bend in the fuel line.

Mine is from a ZR750 "Zephyr".

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Should be OK. Mine's from a Suzuki Bandit GSF with an inward fuel exit in the same place as the linked one. The bend is not significantly tighter than that using the OEM gravity tap.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one just like it, and it has been working fine for years.

The only difference is that on mine, fuel exits towards the rear of the bike. The one you linked to will exit inwards, which may cause a tight bend in the fuel line.

Mine is from a ZR750 "Zephyr".
I considered the Zephyr valve and concluded that the vacuum attachment on the later models will point down and could have caused some clearance issues based on conversations on this forum. Maybe I misunderstood?

Got the valve installed tonight and took pictures before hooking up the fuel line but as you can see the fuel line actually comes out right where the fuel outlet is and hooks up just fine. I had some concerns that the outlet was too low but the fuel line is quite flat to the inline filter before it curves down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
yep it does line up pretty good. What is strange is that your tap seems to be sited further back than mine. I'm sure mine is in contact with the left carb top.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I considered the Zephyr valve and concluded that the vacuum attachment on the later models will point down and could have caused some clearance issues based on conversations on this forum. Maybe I misunderstood?
No, that's correct. The tap you have used looks to be more compact than the Zephyr/Bandit models. It doesn't seem to sit as far below the tank and, as Slinky says, appears to site a little further back from the left carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts