Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yey, I have another problem with my Daytona. My complaint is that I have a leaky petcock, I narrowed it down to leaking from the turn knob. I spoke with a guy about it already and he said the seals inside there are not repairable. With that being said, does anyone know where I can find a new petcock assembly? I looked on bikebandit.com for one and they only list a 95'. I'm guessing they're the same but I've been wrong before, plus they wan't $100 plus for it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
was it a triumph dealer you spoke to?if it was, and they dont do a tap repair kit, they will tell you it cant be fixed, but a patternt parts shop may be able to provide you with a repair kit.
keep an eye on ebay for taps, as they come up every so often

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it wasn't a dealer, it was actually a friend that owns a speedshop that did all the work on the bike. It's hard trying to find parts for this bike in the US since its the four cylinder 93'. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Sprint Manufacturing in the UK do a rebuild kit, I've just fitted one, cost £19.95 & shouldn't be expensive on post either as it's small & light.

However dies your tap work ok apart from the leak..? reason I say is that the only thing sealing the selector of a 10mm twin lipped oil seal, by removing the two screws either side of the selector you can remove it then lever out the old seal press home a new one, Bearing & seal suppliers will sell you one on line cost about £3.

I've got a few pics of mine apart if it helps..?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the valve works as it should but in all positions the small leak is coming from the gap between the twist handle and the tap exterior. I thought it was the backside was loose, not the case, then I thought the rear fuel line was loose, not the case. So finally I pulled the knob off and found that that is broke and then discovered the leak so it has to be an interior seal. If you could post a few pictures I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Right o then....The seal is 10mm Inside Diameter 20mm outside diameter 5mm thick twin lipped oil seal (so long as it's listed as fuel resistant as well. They call it an R23 NBR oil seal.

The reason I know all this is because the seal that came with my kit I knocked through whilst trying to drive it home...it only butts up onto a very narrow lip and is easy to end up with it a bit wonkey. I found leaving the seal in a plastic back in the freezer for a couple of hours and a tiny smear of grease grease on my second attempt allowed me to press the seal in with a lot less force and a lot more accuracy.

The seal cost £1.49 which worked out to just shy of £3 with postage.

Release the selector buy undoing the two screws either side, it is sprung so will sort of pop out a bit, withdraw the selector. prize out the old seal, press in the new, refit selector.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Right o then....The seal is 10mm Inside Diameter 20mm outside diameter 5mm thick
I just measured a spare cam cover bolt oil seal and it has the same dimensions. Please describe the "twin lip". This seal looks to be single lip with the usual bevel on the i.d. This is on the steel washer side of the seal. It also has a raised ring on the opposite side surface, like a molded on o-ring.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help, my tap I bought off of ebay (posted earlier), leaks in the same place as my faulty one. So I've decided to not even mess around with it and purchase a new one, not cheap but atleast I know it won't leak, well shouldn't leak. I will though rebuild the other two and try and mabey resell one after I know it won't leak so nobody else ends up in my situation. Thanks again, I will look into finding the seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts