Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paranoid side made me order a new fuel tap. Can you spot the difference between the old and new! :D

So my question to the oracles amongst you; How come the brass pipe is on different sides of the tap? The new one seems incorrectly installed as the new spacer to the tank doesn't fit on the new but fits fine on the old.

Maybe there is an explanation before I give the supplier a ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can't you just move the brass pipe to the other side, or is it fixed in position. Asking because this job is on my to do list ;)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tap assembly simply wont fit together with the brass pipe on the wrong side. I tried to extract the pipe last night but it's not moving at all, mind you I just tried moll grips & brute force. There may be a more refined and effective approach I'm missing. I either need the tap or the spacer/mount swapped for a matching equivalent.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I guess I'll have to look at the new one I just got from the same supplier. Didn't yours come with the new filter piece though that mounts on the actual tap? Mine fit together fine and bolted right into the tank... unfortunately I can't find my broken tap to compare.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The tap assembly simply wont fit together with the brass pipe on the wrong side. I tried to extract the pipe last night but it's not moving at all, mind you I just tried moll grips & brute force. There may be a more refined and effective approach I'm missing. I either need the tap or the spacer/mount swapped for a matching equivalent.
Before you attack it (applying heat would probably get it out) is it worth giving the supplier a ring to find out if they have another part that fits exactly right...you have probably already done this Silkie, but it's just a thought...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Checked mine out- its definately the same as your old one. I ordered part #2400025T0301 from Word of Triumph and this is what they sent me:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks dude, I ordered that part number as well. I put worldoftriumph.com onto this thread. They needed a little convincing, far enough I suppose as there are loads of chancers out there. Hopefully I'll get the issue sorted through the dealer soon.

Thanks again for taking the time to post some shots mate.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting a new fuel tap sent from the supplier... that's the good news.

On the same order I asked for silver eccentric adjusters, turns out they are obsolete now and only have black stock left! eek! That's two parts I've wanted that are now no longer available.

The box of spares for the T3s at Hinkley must be looking pretty empty these days!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The black adjusters might actually be cooler- you could sand/polish the outer face for the shiney AL, then the inside of the holes would be black (which could be good because thats where all the grime hides)

·
Registered
190 Posts
''The box of spares for the T3s at Hinkley must be looking pretty empty these days!''

We'll have a good look on the factory visit !!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Might be worth looking at something like a Kawasaki Zephyr (I used to have one) as the swingarms look pretty much the same - though looking and being are two different things. I still have the Haynes for my old Zephyr so will take a look later

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just looked at bikebandit - part numbers and prices are different but I don't know if that is an indicator of compatibility or not - still worth looking though

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I was just noticing how similar to a T3 the eccentrics on a ZRX look. I'd be surprised if they were the same, but stranger things have happened...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
582 Posts
I know what you mean Kit - given that things like master cylinders, mirrors on the Trophy, brake calipers etc cross over, it might just work...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts