Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Maybe someone out there could help me. I've a 72 Bonnie in the middle of a rebuild. I've just done a dry run to make sure everything fits.
The bike is fitted with pre OIL style air filters (with the offset to attach the carb) and standard Amal Mk 1 carbs. The problem I have is that the unions (the little 90° tubes that attach the fuel pipes to the the taps (petcocks in US) are approx. 1/8" too long and touch the air filters (see attached photo) They are approx. 1 1/4" in length. My question is does anyone know if it is possible to buy a shorter 90° union, for example a longer nut with a built in 90° union instead of the separate nut and tube arrangement. I don't really want to start fabricating longer air filter attachments or inlet manifolds.

Many Thanks

Webby

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Webby,
is the outlet in your filter offset or on centre? if it's offset you could try turning them just a little.
otherwise try your local hydraulic shop, they may have a shorter radius fitting that will do

·
Registered
601 Posts
Webby,

There is a plumming fitting called a street elbow. It is female on
the one end and male on the other, works in tight spots. You
should be able to find one the right size in a brass fitting. The run
your metal line from there.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks Pookybear & 72Tiger,

Pokybear I'll try the local plumming shop this weekend, I thought of that after I compared the threads on the tap to few plumming fittings I had lying around (always thought that France would be metric but it turns out they are the same as the UK ):)

72Tiger, I have offset filters and they are already turned round to the maximum, I've also checked the fuel tank mounting to make sure the tank is at the correct height.

Thanks for your help :)

Webby

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I Blonde?

This thread is yet another example that I was blonde in a previous life!
The other week I had a flash of inspiration, why not just move the fuel tank rear support rubber back a few inches?
Sure enough after having a look I ordered some new unions (I'd cut my old ones down and brazed them to the attach nuts(which worked quite well:)))
I fitted the new ones today and there is enough clearance, maybe 1 or 2mm between the fuel hose and the air filters.
Just thought I'd let you all know just in case there are other people out there that are as stupid as me! :)

Webby

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Thanks Pookybear & 72Tiger,

Pokybear I'll try the local plumming shop this weekend, I thought of that after I compared the threads on the tap to few plumming fittings I had lying around (always thought that France would be metric but it turns out they are the same as the UK ):)

72Tiger, I have offset filters and they are already turned round to the maximum, I've also checked the fuel tank mounting to make sure the tank is at the correct height.

Thanks for your help :)

Webby
There is an easier way Webby, using a carbide burr, enlarge the carby fixtures in the head and pull the the carbies slightly outward, out of the way. The ensuing hole that is left between manifold and head is packed with oily rag, carefully inserted with a rusty screwdriver. This will enhance the aged look of this old Bonnie. RR

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a good idea RR!
I especially like the rusty screwdriver, would be a nice touch :) Do you think I can buy rusty exhausts to match? (I was thinking e bay :))

Webby

·
Registered
767 Posts
Does anyone know what the part #'s are for the elbow and nut that fixes to the petcock? They aren't in the parts book.

In hindsight, wished I bought the petcocks with the spigot type end so the fuel line could just be shoved onto it and banjoed down. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part N°s

Hi Kev,
I couldn't find the part numbers in my parts book either. So after going though my Bonnie Receipts I've found the following, the 90° pipe has a Triumph Part number but the nut appears to have given a number by the shop.

Petrol Pipe Nut 1/4": PP07
Pipe 90 Degree: 82-3335

I hope this helps

Webby

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks Webby!
That number does indeed match the 90 degree spigot on the British only website.

Im having 2nd thoughts about whether that spigot is needed. If you look at the Triumph MC Restoration book (I know you have that one!) page 44: it shows no sign of the spigot--just the tap, fuel pipe and some "ferrules". Also, if you look at page 60 you get a decent view of the assembled tap and I can't see any spigot--just the pipe somehow attached to the tap.

Im still confused how this works. I went to a friends house yesterday and he has the setup you explain with the copper spigot (and he's had his bikes since the 60's.)

Scratching my head on this one...!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Got the actual part numbers from British Only for anyone that needs them:

01-82-3337: NUT,1/4BSPX19,UNION,GAS LINE
01-82-3335: SPIGOT,FUEL,ELBOW,90 DEGREE

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kev,
I've had a look at the book, and the angled pipe is not shown on page 44 but I think it is there on page 60. You may be able to get away with a straight pipe but I think that once the fuel hose was fitted it would foul the side of the carb. Going back to the book it looks like most Bonnies should have the angled pipes, there's pics that clearly show them on pages 94 (1960 model) and 99 (65 model). Also if you look carefully at the lower pic on page 110 of a 69 you can just see the angled pipe.

Let me know how you get on :)

Webby

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cheers Webby. I can always count on you my friend :)

Im in the office now but Ill have a butchers at the book tonight.

As you can see from my recent posts, I have a few loose ends left on my restore. Looks like i need another week before I can finish it off :eek:

P.S. The more I work on this Bonnie, the more I like the idea of the Tiger's simplicity!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry to beat this to death, but just about to put in an order for, hopefully, my last parts batch.

There's 3 types of elbows available: straight, 90 and 120 degrees.
Sounds like the straight version is out. what type should I order - 90 or 120 degrees? British Only says 90 degrees, but Im thinking the 120 degree version would create less of a kink in the gas line.
Does it matter that much? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to beat this to death, but just about to put in an order for, hopefully, my last parts batch.

There's 3 types of elbows available: straight, 90 and 120 degrees.
Sounds like the straight version is out. what type should I order - 90 or 120 degrees? British Only says 90 degrees, but Im thinking the 120 degree version would create less of a kink in the gas line.
Does it matter that much? Cheers.
Hi Kev,
Go for the 90 degree, they won't cause the fuel line to kink, in fact if anything they allow for a nice curve around the carbs.

Webby

1 - 16 of 16 Posts