Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the tank from my Trophy 900 to change the spark plugs. The fuel tap was set to normal "run" position, and I disconnected the two fuel hoses and the vacuum hose from the tap, as well as the wires and the mystery hose from the fuel level sensor (I posted another thread about that). I temporarily set the tank down on the ground very carefully while I worked on the bike. During that time no fuel leaked out, even while I was handling/moving the tank. The tank had approximately 1 gallon of gas in it at that point. While changing the plugs, I realized I needed new plug wires as well, so I put the tank in the back seat of my car on some cushioning, as I knew it would be a couple of days before I had the plug wires and I could put the bike back together. (I live in an apartment building so I have no other place to store the tank-I didn't want to put it in my apartment). The tank was upright for the most part, but a couple of times during sudden braking it kind of rolled onto its side somewhat; it never hit anything hard though, as it was well-cushioned all around. The next day the inside of the car smelled slightly of gas, but not much. However, by today it was overpowering, and looking under the tank I saw that gas was trickling out of the fuel tap. Not just an occasional drop, but a healthy trickle-like a teaspoon at a time- that came and went depending on the positioning of the tank. Sometimes it would stop and then start again later.

My understanding is that without vacuum applied to the connection on the tap, there shouldn't be any fuel leaking out (at least when the knob is in the "run" position). Could it be that having the car sitting in the sun all day (windows slightly open) warmed the tank enough to force some gas out the tap?

Tonight I set the tank back on the bike in the parking lot so it wouldn't leak any more gas into my car, which smells VERY strongly of gas now. After I set the tank on the bike I could see gas drip-drip-dripping out of the tap. I could make it come out of either one of the two fuel hose connections on the tap, depending on how I moved the tank around.

so...does this mean that I have to rebuild the fuel tap, or will this be a non-issue once I reconnect the fuel hoses? any thoughts welcomed-thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I removed the tank from my Trophy 900 to change the spark plugs. The fuel tap was set to normal "run" position, and I disconnected the two fuel hoses and the vacuum hose from the tap, as well as the wires and the mystery hose from the fuel level sensor (I posted another thread about that). I temporarily set the tank down on the ground very carefully while I worked on the bike. During that time no fuel leaked out, even while I was handling/moving the tank. The tank had approximately 1 gallon of gas in it at that point. While changing the plugs, I realized I needed new plug wires as well, so I put the tank in the back seat of my car on some cushioning, as I knew it would be a couple of days before I had the plug wires and I could put the bike back together. (I live in an apartment building so I have no other place to store the tank-I didn't want to put it in my apartment). The tank was upright for the most part, but a couple of times during sudden braking it kind of rolled onto its side somewhat; it never hit anything hard though, as it was well-cushioned all around. The next day the inside of the car smelled slightly of gas, but not much. However, by today it was overpowering, and looking under the tank I saw that gas was trickling out of the fuel tap. Not just an occasional drop, but a healthy trickle-like a teaspoon at a time- that came and went depending on the positioning of the tank. Sometimes it would stop and then start again later.

My understanding is that without vacuum applied to the connection on the tap, there shouldn't be any fuel leaking out (at least when the knob is in the "run" position). Could it be that having the car sitting in the sun all day (windows slightly open) warmed the tank enough to force some gas out the tap?

Tonight I set the tank back on the bike in the parking lot so it wouldn't leak any more gas into my car, which smells VERY strongly of gas now. After I set the tank on the bike I could see gas drip-drip-dripping out of the tap. I could make it come out of either one of the two fuel hose connections on the tap, depending on how I moved the tank around.

so...does this mean that I have to rebuild the fuel tap, or will this be a non-issue once I reconnect the fuel hoses? any thoughts welcomed-thanks!
I would replace suspect fuel cocks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The diaphragm is likely old and inflexible. You probably can't buy just the diaphragm so will have to replace the whole fuel tap as D-Johnstone suggests.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
understood..Hermy's still lists the diaphragm and a couple of gaskets in their online catalog, as far as I can tell. They also list the entire fuel tap gizmo, obviously it's fairly expensive and I haven't verified that they actually can supply it. I'm just having a hard time understanding why it was fine when I took the tank off the bike, but suddenly-hours later, apparently-decided to start pissing gasoline all over my back seat! Grrr...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dont understand either why it would start leaking suddenly, but for me it started to leak this summer ,it's a 1994, i've order the rebuilt kit from Sprint manufacturing, all good now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts