Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my fuel tank off , and the vacuum operated system does not work . Basically no OFF .
Effectively my fuel is on all the time.
Has anyone come acroos this before .
A new fuel tap is 70 of my English pounds.
Is there another cheaper fix. ?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Took my fuel tank off , and the vacuum operated system does not work . Basically no OFF .
Effectively my fuel is on all the time.
Has anyone come acroos this before .
A new fuel tap is 70 of my English pounds.
Is there another cheaper fix. ?
Sprint manufacturing do rebuild kits I think mate.

EDIT: Yup they do, £27.00

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Make sure it isn't the knob moving on the shaft, the knobs break internally very easily. Repair with an epoxy 'fill' is the fix. (You'll see what's meant by that when you take it off.)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
What Mike said. It sounds like the shaft is set to prime and the knob is slipping. (And if not that, what Silkie said.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the diaphragm out. Seemed to be stuck. Then got a bit heavy handed - The main metal part of the diapgragm is in 2 parts. one part of mine seemed to be blocked . Inside the recess there was a little rubber valve sitting in a cup. On removing , and destroying the little cup and rubber valve in the process i have managed to get the fuel to turn off.
Anyone any ideas what that little rubber valve in a cup , recessed into the body of the diaphragm is for?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers.
Thats my next job after reinstalling airbox. The little part im talking about sits in the main diaphragm unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vacuum taps are a pain in the behind! Had same situation on my old Kawasaki, rebuilt it twice with firstly aftermarket then genuine parts, and still no joy. Bit the bullet in the end bought a new tap, if I had to do it again I'd personally go the pingel route

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I had same problem with my fuel tap the little rubber bit you removed is a kind of damper/restrictor it's job is to stop the fuel tap valve rattling on idle. It swells up with time and won't let valve shut off the fuel, by removing it you have repaired the tap but it will make a rattle at idle, sounds like a loose shim, drove me nuts looking for the noise ended up fitting a new tap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rebuilt the tap with a second one from ebay , and ended up with a much cleaner example . All should be well now .

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts