Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a fuel tank say for example a 1964 Bonneville, or any model that didn't have that flange or seam around the bottom, could be fitted to a T120 ?>:)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Well anything can be done with enough time, money and skill...however, the effort needed would be considerable. I believe this was explored with the air cooled bikes by others who disliked the seam at the bottom edge of the tank, not sure anyone ever did anything. Perhaps a "simpler" task would be to remove the seam from the existing tank and go from there.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
You'd be better off finding someone to fabricate a proper tank out of alloy that accepts the stock tank pump and gauge bits. Trying to retrofit an earlier tank would require significant changes to the mounts, would require an external fuel pump, and fitting some sort of float gauge in the tank. Also not sure how the canbus wiring loom would get on with the different fuel pump/fuel gauge...

Of course, the forum needs a beta tester. So I think you should do it. ;)

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just day dreaming. I always thought the tank on my old 64 Bonneville was a work of art.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The tank seam is an easy fix. Just remove the seat and blank out the seam flange with 1/2" matte black automotive striping tape. This is very nearly invisible. You'll be surprised at what a neat job you can do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We made a tank for the aircooled bikes with fuel pump integration and we will make a tank for the new water cooled bikes too.

We stamped out the stock type tunnel on the aircooled bikes which meant keeping the seem - if its really a problem perhaps on the new line we could look at a different method. Its actually a fairly smart way of making the tank nice and strong.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The seam annoys me as well. I understand the manufacturing cost impact of no visible seam, but it seems to me (no pun intended) that Triumph could have done SOMETHING to mitigate the ugliness of it.

I would concur that modifying the existing tank would be cheaper and easier than trying to upgrade a 60's vintage tank to the EFI, or worse, building a new tank from scratch.

I'm going to try the tape trick. I was thinking along those same lines but with flat black paint, but the tape may be easier.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We made a tank for the aircooled bikes with fuel pump integration and we will make a tank for the new water cooled bikes too.

We stamped out the stock type tunnel on the aircooled bikes which meant keeping the seem - if its really a problem perhaps on the new line we could look at a different method. Its actually a fairly smart way of making the tank nice and strong.
Cool, y'all make nice looking tanks...look forward to it. Personally, I don't care about seams at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tank with taped seam picture ?

The tank seam is an easy fix. Just remove the seat and blank out the seam flange with 1/2" matte black automotive striping tape. This is very nearly invisible. You'll be surprised at what a neat job you can do.
TMSG -

Can you post a picture?

Thanks!

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts