Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered yesterday that the fuel tank on my 2006 955 Silver Tiger is becoming deformed. The sides of the tank on the bottom have become wavey and a little distorted. The paint is OK, but the plastic tank has lost its smooth shape. I immediately contacted my dealer and brought the bike in for inspection. My warranty is still good for another two weeks as i purchased in April of 07. Triumph says they have never had a problem before and said it could be caused by using alchol or a fuel additive. I have never used an additive in the bike, only 91 octane from a Chevron or 76 station.

Anyway my dealer is still checking with Triumph to see if they are going to replace the tank under warranty. I think I'm going to have a battle on my hands. I'm being optomistic. I have other Triumphs, a 2001 Bonneville, a 68 T120 Bonneville and a 75 Trident. So I'm a big Triumph fan. I only hope I can remain so .

Has anyone one the forum ever had this kind of problem with your plastic tanks on the older Tigers?

Ralph in So. Cal.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Bluffguy !! i think you have a blockage in the tank air vent or a pipes been pinched when the tanks been off !! has the bike just been serviced ? open the fuel filler cap and listen for a rush of air ( in or out )

KK

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Bluffguy !! i think you have a blockage in the tank air vent or a pipes been pinched when the tanks been off !! has the bike just been serviced ? open the fuel filler cap and listen for a rush of air ( in or out )

KK
Plus one for this idea. I've seen a ST1300 Pan Euro vacuum it's tank due to a blockage, that bent the tank enough that once it was taken off the bike, it couldn't be refitted 'cos none of the mounts met up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had a vacuum deform as well, straightened out the breather hose down by the left hand foot peg and it was fine.

As suggested, check for a rush of air when you open the tank after doing some mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts