Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently got my 2000 Legend TT on the road after a hiatus of several years. Enjoying it very much. Spent a pretty penny to clean the carbs and replace some of the electronics that had gone bad.

Am having one small problem -- the one-way valve on my gas cap which prevents the buildup of a vacuum inside the tank is failing. The result is that the engine gets deprived of fuel after some consumption reduces the contents of the tank, creating the vacuum pressure. To solve the problem I must briefly unscrew the cap, to relieve the pressure. That starts it all over, but the same problem returns after a few miles.

Does anyone know how to repair the gas cap? Is there a way to deal with the valve so it works again?

I would very much appreciate some input on this -- it's a small matter, but annoying.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
The vent line at the rear left corner of the tank should vent the tank regardless of what the cap does. There should be a tip over valve about 3 inches below the tank. It needs to be working, connected the right way, and positioned vertically.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hi. I recently got my 2000 Legend TT on the road after a hiatus of several years. Enjoying it very much. Spent a pretty penny to clean the carbs and replace some of the electronics that had gone bad.

Am having one small problem -- the one-way valve on my gas cap which prevents the buildup of a vacuum inside the tank is failing. The result is that the engine gets deprived of fuel after some consumption reduces the contents of the tank, creating the vacuum pressure. To solve the problem I must briefly unscrew the cap, to relieve the pressure. That starts it all over, but the same problem returns after a few miles.

Does anyone know how to repair the gas cap? Is there a way to deal with the valve so it works again?

I would very much appreciate some input on this -- it's a small matter, but annoying.

Thanks.

I had a similar issue and luckily @simplyj had an extra older cap lying around for me to test if that was the issue. It was and luckily he gave me that cap. The funny thing is that his cap was an older cap and didn't even have a the vent like my oem cap had and I have not had issue since then.

Zee
2000 triumph thunderbird sport
2015 bmw f700gs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts