Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, and thanks for all the advice posted here regarding tank and airbox removal.
Have just done both this evening in an attempt to find out why my Scottoiler will no longer oil.
On replacing the airbox, I re-connected the electrical connector on the right-hand side, and that's when I noticed another 2-pin connector which has nothing to connect to. I certainly don't remember unhooking it from anything just half an hour before. It is quite grimy, and appears to be 'weathered' as if it is unconnected and redundant. Does this ring any bells with anyone?
Having put the tank back on, the bike fires up and runs OK, and everything electrical seems to work, but I'm a bit worried that I might have missed something.
Hope someone can shed some light.
btw, the Scottoiler vacuum tube is definitely connected to the engine manifold, does anyone have any idea why the flow might have stopped?

G

·
hi,your spare two pin plug experience sounds very familiar,i am very confidant that this is for a lambda oxygen sensor which is not used in this country or it could be for the purge control valve which is used in california only,if your engine management light has not come on then you should be able to ignore the spare plug without worry,hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I agree with yogirebel. There are a number of unused connectors related to emissions stuff specific to California and Germany. I discovered this during the rebuild of my wreck!
You may have a sneaky bubble in the line. Put the thing on prime and ride it until the rear wheel is messy...well, maybe not quite that long. That cured mine's problems when I went to the dual injector.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I think it's the connector for the fourth plug which Triumph omitted from my bike along with its cylinder.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
if that 2-plug connector is on right side of the bike, just above engine cover, it is for Carbon canister purge valve :) used only for Bikes in California.
Triumph is using the same wiring loom for all bike modifications, so some of the connectors are unplugged.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, chaps.

The bike runs just fine without that connector, so it must be (as you say) redundant.

I eventually fixed the scottoiler by pumping air in as per the instructions to prime the system. Perhaps it didn't like being left for a few weeks without running.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Phil, I found a spare connector while trynig to work out why the fule gauge wasn't working, and that was with the tank still on. I was assured it was a fourth injector connector.

On the scottoiler front, if you get a bubble in the tube - usually because you've let the reservoir empty, you may have to prime the system to get it working, usually just turning it up to prime will do the trick but I have noticed Triumphs don't flow too quickly in general.

If you're getting repeated problems, you could have a split delivery tube (i had one too me ages to figure it out), or some idiot's thought it funny to puncture it.

But scottoiler service is excellent if you have any trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts