Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've finally completed an top-end engine rebuild on my 05' Sprint ST and because I removed/replaced the engine, the cables have kinda moved around so....everything has gone perfectly EXCEPT that I can't find where to plug-in the Fuel Sender Lead(FSL). The lead that comes out of the bottom of the fuel tank.

:brick:

If anyone has the tank off the bike at the moment, if you could take a pic of where the FSL comes out of the main electrical wiring harness (ie. left side or right side). That would be a great deal of help and hopefully put an end to this very strange mystery.

Thank you in advance!

//David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your post, but thats not it. It's the "gizmo" on the other side of the tank, (just barely visible on the left of your picture behind those tubes).

Oh and...I could really need a pic with the tank pulled and looking down into the engine bay if anyone else can help. Much thanks!

//David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Got it, thanks Grant! ( I mixed it up with the Purge Valve lead that sits up front on the secondary air injection system which I pulled when I put block-off plates on the reed valves, it's the same darn connector that reaches about the right length. Argh (Duh)!

So, the rebuild was needed after I started blowing blue smoke a while back at just 22,000 miles. I checked compression and it was lousy on cylinders one and two. Yanked the engine (even though you don't really need to but it makes it so much easier to work on)...anyhow, the two cylinders were scored from the rings expanding due to heat. I had a meticulous progressive break-in process that did not lug it, nor did I baby the engine and I kept maximum compression etc.(ie. BREP?).

So, anyways, I pulled the head, the sleeves, had them honed. The vales were lapped and I ported and polished the head while I was at it (the pics will be coming eventually).

So, the honing process effectively showed a "bow-out" in the middle of the cylinder walls. I've been very aggressive with this bike and I don't think it really liked that too much. The cylinders are just iron, (not nickasil-lined like the Daytona's) so I think it was telling me to be a bit more gentile with this sport-tourer.:D

So, I don't think I'll be as hard this time around, but I'll will still let her Ripp!...but non-the-less, I'm thinking that I'm going to switch to Amsoil. I'm not impressed with the Mobil 1 solution and I read a great white paper on Amsoil particularly looking at the SAE 50 section on page 24. I also heard that the Mobil 1 is not a true double ester base stock so it's not entirely a TRUE synthetic. Hmmm. So anyway Amsoil's paper is here.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

Thanks again for jostling my brain on the lead connection!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts