Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello brothers, I have the 72 Bonneville with the 3 1/2 US gallon tank.
I wonder if any one of you in an idle moment may have measured the quantity of fuel the reserve tap gives?

I have good reason to ask. :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Wouldn't that depend on your reserve tap pipe height, sealing washer setup, and how much thread you used when installing them?

You might get some numbers, but there will be variability from different setups and tap makers?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hi RetroRod, As was said depends on taps, but I've found it to be only about 1.1-1.5 US quarts.

Figure 40 miles per US Gallon. 10-15 miles. That has been my experience in real life. Do you know how hard it is to push my bike 2 miles? Luckily was trending downhill ever so slightly. Not enough to coast, but at least it wasn't uphill.

I tested my new Taiwan taps by draining. They are different from originals in they have plastic screw on strainers. Reserve doesn't drain as much. The stand tube is shorter on main tap. I mounted reserve lowest I could in bung. 1 quart + 1 cup US. That's it!

Don't be fooled by looking in tank. When you run out you'll still see what looks like nearly an inch of fuel. Use the tickler. No tickle, no gas!

Crazy how the motor shuts off. It's running fine, then without a sputter, motor dies. You grab clutch, no sound, no vibration. You can hear the birds chirp. Kind of peaceful really. Until you have to start pushing.

Only took me one time to never let tank get that low again.

It is smart to drain it & see what your tank does.
Don

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt variables will cause a plus or minus in the final result.
I ran out of fuel on the main tap yesterday and switched over to my reserve and rode back about 3 miles to my home. I removed the tank and placed it level and retrieved 650ml (.17US gall).
Many years ago I tested my old Bonneville tart’s economy. My recollection is that I got about 60 miles per gallon. Assuming this is the economy for this bike I calculate that the reserve will provide about 10 miles of journey (25klms +/-)
No great amount for Australian riders. Do check your tank next time. RR :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hi RR,
You can adapt (lengthen) the extension tube on the main tap, so you run out of main fuel earlier but have more on reserve.
Depending on the tap you have yo might need to lose the internal filter and replace it with an external one.
Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I ran out coming in to Jerilderie on the Newell Highway once....its in the middle of nowhere, wide flat open plains with semi's and B doubles blowing past kicking up dust and sand every 10 seconds or so. Had a full load, saddlebags and swag etc and had to push the bike for approx. 4- to 5km. I had made the same ride before, but I didn't factor in the strong south westerly headwind this time round.

I never carried fuel, always thought it was dangerous anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts