Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted: 2005-12-26 09:06
Give me a chance guys, Christmas and all. I'll get some measurements to you.

stevecro, I wouldn't flatten it. Use a 6mm in the hat, spring side and a socket that will support the mounting collar. Sure, you can up the pressure and ride like that with no problem at all. I did for a long time.

Don
Hey big Don, how about those measurements for us........this was LAST Christmas! :-D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets see you watched someone else change your countershaft sprocket and your wondering if you should attempt to modify an engine control unit where accurate measurements are necessary and the outcome could adversely effect the way your bike runs if not done with care and precision. You admit (proudly I might add) to being the real life Fraiser when it comes to mechanical work around here. :knkknk:

Now, think about your question again. :roflmoa2:

you should watch! :lgh:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Fact is I don't know how much mine moved, only that it did in fact move, and I don't know what the pressure is for sure. I did notice an improvement after I did it, but I also was having the crud in #1 plug problem at the same time so I cleaned that out and replaced the plugs. Prior to doing those two items I had been experiencing off idle hesitation and a ragged idle. Both have never returned. IMO, the only way to do this thing is to crush it then measure the pressure change, repeat until you get it where you want it. Me, I chose to use the dumb luck method which just happened to work for me.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
+1 on the "Dumb Luck" method.

I went with the Tiger (off-road) version: I did not remove the regulator from the bike. I just took out the midbody bolt for the side fairing, and popped the fairing out and bent it clear.

Bike starts and runs great, and the regulator doesn't make that wimpy whining noise when I turn the bike on in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am with Pushrod. I used the Tiger forum method with two ball pein hammers and the tank in place on the bike. I gave it a little love tap and rode around on it for a few days. I decided I did not have the improvement others spoke of and gave it a second love tap. The second one caused a significantly greater depression in the regulator and the performance was phenomenal! I haven't hooked up a pressure gage to determine what my final output is however, I have no leaks and no appreciable difference in mpg. I definitely would (and have) recommend this mod. :-D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with Rodney here! That's the way we should be doing it, but most don't have the gauge available let alone one with the necessary quick disconnects to plug into the tank while the bike is running. (we're to cheap!) But I think I'll NOT try beating on it with a hammer while it's still mounted to the tank! :wow:

Have you got a link, because I'd like to read about it anyway to see how many think this the mod to do.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-29 15:23 ]

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Yes Kid you are most likely correct! :-D

I have to admit I am a "rider" not a "tech" :)

Many moons ago I did all my own spannering but bikes were not as comaplicated back then and none had fairings either.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got to have someone to take the piss on! And sense you seem so willing (hell you dam near volunteered) I guess I'll just go with it! :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts