Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sprint whined at me this morning more than usual, and she can't be whinging because i haen't used her as we had 2 nice long rides at the weekend.

Now i know about the primer whine on flicking the ignition on, and it's usually a whistle i hear, but this morning it was more of an alarming screech, as if i'd just stood on a mouse!

Browsing the forum it appears a screch isn't that common, but it appeared as though you either have a quiet one or a screamer (always the case :D). Mine is usually quiet so i was a bit concerned when it screeched at me.

Is this unusual? It wasn't overly cold today, just about cold enough to see your breath in the wind.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I find that when the weather is cold, or if I leave the bike outside on a cold night, the pump whines signifigantly louder.
Sometimes I hear it over the sound of the engine!

Never a problem, and the whine quiets down as the bike gets warm.
Also, a full tank of gas somewhat deadens the sound.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah what i should add is the whine only happened initially in the priming stage. After that i could not hear it over the bike (But then i have a TOR fitted so no suprise there)

And she had about 3/4 of a tank

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
It would probably be your fuel pressure regulator. This was pretty common even to 2002. The dealers would at the time replace the regulators if a customer complained about the sound.
The regulator on my bike was a quiet one but the dealer modded a noisy one and gave me that. It's still going strong.
As it's a new noise though keep an eye on it and see what happens. They're pretty monkey proof though just a diaphram and spring.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
edit - Dolson beat me to it!

I don't think the noise you hear is the pump, but rather the fuel pressure regulator chattering.

It makes noise under the increased flow as the system pressurizes, then gets quiet. It might make some noise when the engine is at full power, but you'd never hear it.

Mine made more noise before I did the 'Mod' to it.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
The sprint whined at me this morning more than usual, and she can't be whinging because i haen't used her as we had 2 nice long rides at the weekend.
You used whine and she in the same sentence. Some would say everything is normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts