Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, sorry for this post, as I know my question is answered somewhere but I just can't think of the right search terms to find the thread, so I'm going to ask.

I am trying to use as much fuel in my tank as possible before I take it for some paint touch up. Hence, my light has been on for a while. I may run out on the way home from work, and am wondering which way I lean the bike to get that extra amount of fuel that is on the other side of the tank. That may be just enough to get me home.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Good question that...Here's a couple of images showing the fuel pump plate and the internals. The pick-up pipe seems to be biased towards the rear left side of the tank:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So tipping to the left may get me a few more miles? If I run out I'll try it and let everyone know if it works.

·
Registered
308 Posts
fuel filter replacement?

don't want to hijack the thread but I see that there is the fuel filter.
Is it easy to replace? and how often does it need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
don't want to hijack the thread but I see that there is the fuel filter.
Is it easy to replace? and how often does it need to be replaced?
12,000 mile (20,000 km) intervals or every two years.

It's easy to replace but only after you have removed the plate shown. This involves unplugging the electrical connection and hose coupling, removing and draining the tank, taking care that it doesn't get scratched while handling, etc.

You can't just uncouple the fuel hose and drain away either, as the couplings are self-sealing. It has to be siphoned out or drained into a container by tipping the tank upside down.

If you need the bike for transport and can't afford to have it idle while sourcing parts it's worth having a new gasket handy in case it comes out looking like the one shown on this thread, post 8:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/208022-efi-bikes-and-in-line-fuel-filter.html

This other thread has alternative replacement filter part numbers:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/181409-fuel-filter-change.html

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey TX1911fan - I'm very curious to know how far you managed to ride once the low fuel light came on. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank after the pump has sucked all it can?

It would be nice to know the true reserve capacity we have.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I rode more than 52 miles once the light came on steady and I still have not run dry. There is enough gas left in the tank to hear it slosh around. Since I get pretty much 43 miles to the gallon with every fill up, our "reserve" is easily more than a gallon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey TX1911fan - I'm very curious to know how far you managed to ride once the low fuel light came on. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank after the pump has sucked all it can?

It would be nice to know the true reserve capacity we have.
Total Tank capacity: 16 Litres (4.2268 US Gal)
Reserve capacity: 3 Litres (0.79 US Gal)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts