Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with the fuel position dial on the lower left of the gas tank? Of course it is plastic, and the thing has either rounded off or broken completely on me with the couple I have had. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any alternative fixes to replacing the plastic. Maybe rig something metal up? Any help would be appreciated. I would love to know how far I can ride the bike before I hit reserve. I can't really do this now with the problem. Thank you very much!:confused:

·
Registered
485 Posts
The problem is the hollow areas on the back. The best solution I have heard is to buy a new one and fill those areas with JB Weld or some other hardening product. I just replaced mine and the broken spot was at the hollow area where there is no support.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The JB weld reinforcement should work. These things are not made to be used very often since they're vacuum operated.
I fill up around 200 miles on a full tank. Have gotten as far as 240.
I'm sure there are other knobs that will fit the petcock spline, may look odd, but ....

Carry on!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks guys. I have done that exactly already. I just don't trust the dial enough to where I would risk it rounding out on me again. Maybe there is some sort of metal piece I can put on there or something. As for everyone who is getting 200+ out of a tank. I gotta ask; How? I can barely get 160 out of mine before reserve.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You are on the right track, fill the voids with epoxy or something similar. A unstriped knob should only rotate 180 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts