Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My petcock on the little blue girl (2003 T100) will not turn to the reserve position. I had noticed that it was becoming more difficult to turn it from off to reserve (I pre flight that function each morning wether I need it or not) before I turn it to the normal position. This morning, I could not get it to move towards the up position without grabbing the vice grips and forcing it up. :hammer: Any/all help would be appreciated. I suspect I will have to replace that little piece of jewlery but if there is a way around that other than to continually top off the tank and not run it near the reserve point, that would be helpful. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Just try a little spray lubricant. I give mine a little shot of that every so often and no problems
G

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Chuck...I finally got tired of spraying mine down all the time and replaced it with a Pingel. Haven't had any problem since. Maybe try running some Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with a tank full of gas in case there's some buildup in the valve.

Shorty

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shorty. Do you have a part number for the T100. I checked the Pingel application chart and didn't find Triumph so I assume it will take some adaptation. :hammer: I got to thinking as I am sitting here stareing out at the rain. I sure hope it doesn't stick in the off position when I get ready to head home. That might just ruin my day. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Chuck:

The petcock on my 2003 T100 was the same. It got to the point that I thought it was going to break it turning it up or down.

I held a rag in back and underneath the petcock and sprayed WD-40 in between the housing and selector knob all the way around.

That's all it needed. That was 4 months ago and I haven't had a problem since. End of story.

Best regards,

Barry

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well, to each his/her own Chuck. The pingel costs 80 bucks, the spray lube costs pennies
G

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Chuck...I would definitely try the WD-40 route first to see if that will solve your problem. In my case it was a matter of having to replace the unit and rather than buying another stock one I replaced it with the Pingle. It did cost about $80 and I purchased it through Newbonneville.com (Bela Corse also sells them), and the required mounting plate and a small packet of gasket material was included.

Shorty

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with the argument on the pennies but, it feels like it is mechanicaly jammed, not just reluctant to turn. Since the stock valve is not re buildable, and if it is indeed busted, not just stuck, then the only alternative is replacement, preferably with something that is rebuildable. BTW, the stock petcock is only $97. My plan for this evening is to attempt to free it up with spray lube so that it will go to the reserve position. If that doesn't work, I will drain the tank and pull the valve to inspect it and if I don't see anything obvious, order a replacement and adapter. While I'm waiting, I will probably go ahead and NARK it and re jet. Sure hate to miss out on all this good riding weather, 40 deg F and cold rain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine stuck also. I finally tried tapping the handle with a SMALL hammer or wood block. Worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, so far no joy. I have a bunch of WD-40 dripping off of the valve. And, short of grabbing the metric vice grips and twisting on the valve, it isn't moving to reserve. I am going to let it set for an hour and then try again before starting the draining exercise. Thanks all for the advice and consolation. :hammer:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Let me explain my tapping procedure; do dot try to force the handle by hitting it with a hammer. Use a small hammer to tap on the center spindle of the arm. It loosens up and turns.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, tried the tap tap tap on the spindle area of the valve. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I think there is a little slop in the reserve direction. Does anyone know if there is a mechanical ball stop or detent in the valve body? If there is such a detent, that could be what is hanging up. Anyhow, the tank is off and drained and the valve is now soaking in WD-40 in a last ditch effort to get it free.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Just get the Pingel from BellaCourse -make sure you have a rubber gasket to install it or it wil leak. Pingel also makes neat fuel filters.
Sometimes a little money spread on the problem fixes it.
End of problem.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Okay the Pingle costs USD 80 - still buy it. No more problems and improved fuel flow and looks although it's decidedly non Brit.... It's a simple mod but not just bolt on. You need to enlarge the existing outlet with a tiny round file and make sure that you don't leave little bits of metal shavings in the tank. I didn't use a rubber gasket - Locktite did the job fine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does anyone know the actual size the Pingel needs to be? May have a deal on one to put on mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts