Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling the tank on my 2008 Sprint St so that I can install my alarm and GPS. I have all the lines pulled except the fuel line. I can not get it to disconnect. It has an orange slide that exposes two (one on each side) square ?? that move a bit. I am able to pull the female disconnect just a bit, then nothing.
I have read about the bad connectors, have the ones been improved?
I am leaving Thursday for a 10-day trip and don't want to worry problems and don't know if there is time to get replacements ordered.

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You've already noticed that the quick disconnect (QD)has two sides that move a bit when you squeeze them. What you have to do is firmly squeeze them, then pull the QD to separate it from the tank fitting. It sounds as though you are not familiar with this type of fitting and might be expecting it to come off easier. The fitting will not disconnect unless it is squeezed the correct amount.

Avoid putting any side load on the tank fitting. They are plastic and can be broken. If you have sqeezed the ftg properly and it still hangs up, it could have a sticking o-ring. If that happens you will have to give the QD a bit of a twist and pull while holding the plastic tank fitting to prevent collateral damage. Inspect the o-ring once you get the QD off.

Why the alarm? No one steals Sprints. :D

Before you disconnect the breather hoses, label them so you can stick them back on their correct locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oldndumb, thanks for the info, there were two things I was doing wrong. 1 not squeezing hard enough and 2 the hose that attaches to the fitting needed to be rotated to the left so that it does not get wedged into the tank mounting bracket.

I already have all the hoses labeled.

Alarm, where I live is no problem. It is the other places that I am more concerned about. The way I look at it is very simple. If some one wants the bike they will get it, all the alarm does is keep the honest people honest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have related question- My 2 breather hoses were removed from my 2008 Sprint ST while installing a K & N filter- and I didn't label the breather lines first before the removal. Does anyone recall which hose goes to which valve? One breather line includes the filter and the other is just a straight tube. The 2 valves are left and right of each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts