Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, how does this gauge work then?

Does the needle go into the red and then the warning light comes on, or does it drop right through the red to the bottom before the warning light comes on?

Using the bike every night for work so havent had the chance to strap on a can and try it.......any advice?:D

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I don't go off the gauge, just the mileage. 220 miles and it's time to top up :)

Too many people have reported inaccuracies with the fuel gauge for it to be trusted. You can't go wrong with resetting your trip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers G, thats kinda how I work too, just havent seen the fuel light yet and I've had it up to about 180miles......dont know when to start the prayers per mile yet:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I tried mine out once just running local in case it ran out. ;)

The needle went well into the red before the warning light came on but as Graeme says do not trust the guage, or the light, just fill up every 200/220 miles or so. :)

Andy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I find the light comes on after the guage has gone through the red zone.When the light is on I have run up to 40miles before refuelling.Did get very nervous though,normally I only do 20 or so miles with the light on.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I find the light comes on after the guage has gone through the red zone.When the light is on I have run up to 40miles before refuelling.Did get very nervous though,normally I only do 20 or so miles with the light on.
Mine's exactly the same.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tended to trust the on the trip until I ran out of fuel on the French auto route the other year having not factored in the higher cruising speed.
Luckily for me I just had time to dive down an exit ramp park up at the bottom and walk half a mile to filling station buy a can in the hypemarket fill it and walk back.
I now rely on the low fuel light then start looking with the trip as a backup only!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys, wanted to know for the same reason as oldtimer incase my fuel consumption varied and I was going by the trip only.

Will try it out on Monday when I'm off work.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts