Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it amazing?
Even on a T595 or Gen 1 955 (mech speedo) is still very functional for Fuel Level, using the Tach only - to be honest, the basic install without the LCD gives excellent functionality, for Fuel Level (%), Actual Fuel Used or Actual Fuel Left, even without having a mileage recorder via an electronic speed sender.
The mpg and distance to empty are nice bonuses with the digital speed input model, but aren't exactly necessary.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Very nice!

The fuel sender on my Tiger has been pooping the bed progressively to the point where my low fuel light didn't come on and i ran out last week.

Do you think this could be made to work on an 05 Tiger (Sagem FI)?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Very nice!

The fuel sender on my Tiger has been pooping the bed progressively to the point where my low fuel light didn't come on and i ran out last week.

Do you think this could be made to work on an 05 Tiger (Sagem FI)?
From DEcosse's link, yes. With a digital speedo it can be 'full featured'. For those of us with a worm driven speedo an auxilliary input (countershaft sprocket) can be fabricated for MPG data.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you will have to state the model that you have so that you get a Triumph specific unit with the pre-established constants already But will not have to be 'specially made' - the scaling is already done, having been derived from my bike and will work 'out of the box'.

But even when installing the one 'calibrated' with the constant originally set-up for the SV (2 cylinder 650) it can be calibrated for whatever it is fitted to within one tank of gas.
It computes like this: every time the injector pulses, it measure the duration that it is open (it opens for different periods of time depending on how much fuel the map table tells it to deliver) - so what it does is set up a counter to calculate the total duration of time that the injector is open and this very accurately translates to volume of fuel;
so by starting with full tank, when you refill you input the fill volume and it correlates to the total duration of injector pulses and recalculates the constant i.e. the calibration factor.
But as said, now that I have already supplied the information, it will be there as starting condition for the Triumphs, so even that very first tank will be reasonably accurate (although can still be tweaked for your own bike by same method)
The miles recorded were also slightly off (165.5 on the Triumph vs 161.5 on the FuelBot over the course of one 'fill'), due to the slightly larger front tire on the Triumph; however that constant will also be updated on the Triumph unit so should align to your OEM odo.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Absolutely!
The only difference I can see would be the mileage counter - the Tiger has the 19" wheel, right?
Yep.

It'll cost about 80 Euro to get a new fuel sender unit and this looks better and more accurate for the same kind of money.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the 98 you will only get the Fuel Level (%), Fuel Used and Fuel Left - still same accuracy on actual fuel consumption even without the odo component.
I probably would not worry about getting an LCD and just toggle between rpm and fuel level when you want display on tach (although LCD will always show level even when in normal tach mode)
If you would like to add the mpg (instantaneous or average) or miles left, you can add your own speed sender (even though it won't be connected to an actual speedo) using a mod like this - http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/106296-broken-speedo-sender-fix-also-mod-for-05-wheels-on-early-model.html.
(note that adding a speed sender can also give you the ability to add a gear indicator if you so desire - completely unrelated of course, just another thought)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Thanks DEcosse. I've been in touch with TeeRiver, I'm also on the SV forum. I wasn't planning on getting the LCD, although I didn't realize the fuel level would be shown in tach mode. I'm adding a rear speed sensor for my Gipro gear indicator and I also have the parts to convert my analog dash to digital with the Sprint sendor, but I've decided that I like the analog gauges too much and may leave the retro fit for some future time. Not having the impg and miles left is not really a concern. This is an excellent project by TeeRiver and another share the knowledge by both of you.

I'm sure if I need some questions answered, your knowledge on this will be most welcomed.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Thanks again as always. I'm cool if I do keep the sensor on the rear and not have the odo. It should mount easily to the outboard caliper bolt and read off the sprocket or disk bolts for the Gipro. However, I am interested if I do mount to the front if I can split the signal to both the Bot and the Gipro.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that was exactly my point - you can drive both off same signal
You can actually also use on rear but would need a custom calibration for it for the bot
Since that sender picks up on ferrous object (like the bolts) it might be harder to mount on front & get 4 counts
- although increasing spacing and using magnets would probably do it (like the sticky thread for the speed sender replacement)

One more option to keep your Tri-cluster:
Use the Spint ST speedo in the stock cluster; then you can use sprint speed sender for speedo, FuelBot AND GIpro ;D

My OEM speed sender drives the speedo gauge, my gear indicator and now also the Fuel Bot!

You're RMAN on SVR, right?

Here's connection diagram I made for you so you can discuss with TeeRiver:

On the Fuel Bot the Speed In & Out connectors are just parallel of same wires and the Speed Sender connector also is used to supply the power for the FuelBot Module

1) For no speed input at all, you would just connect Ignition Power and Ground to the top connector and leave signal wire & other connector unconnected.
(you might even ask TeeR to leave the second connector off the FuelBot if you never plan to add this)

2) If using GIPro Speed Sender, connect the three wires from GIPro sender to one Speed connector and connect the other to the GIPro Display

3) If using OEM speed sender and Digital Speedo, simplest to leave GIPro sender dedicated to the GIPro and connect speed sender in & speedo out for the instrument.

You won't have an instrument connector that is used on later Triumph, which is same as SV - so you will just break into the Red Wire (Tach Signal) going to the instruments
The Injector wire can be connected directly at the injector itself - this would be the Yellow/Pink wire.
(I was able to connect the Injector wire to left side injector (#1) by just reaching through the frame - did not even have to remove tank (but will tie wire up next time it's off)

If you want to use the rear-wheel mounted GIPro sender to drive the FuelBot, you might discuss having your FuelBot built with a chip socket - that way you can have a reprogrammed chip flashed once you get the calibration difference for what the FuelBot odo indicates vs your bike's odo. That input is not user-programmable, unlike the Fuel Cal. But once it generates whatever number you get, the math is simple to recalibrate the number of sender counts/wheel to miles.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Wow, DEcosse I am indebted. Now you have me thinking about obtaining a Sprint speedo and using the Sprint sendor to hook everything up as you do. Back to Ebay and waiting perhaps. Yes, I'm rman. Is it just the '99 Sprint ST speedo that I'm looking for, or other yrs as well? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any 99 - 04 ST speedo
It's not a straight swap into the tri-cluster but essentially same size so you just need to work out the fixing in the shell

Even without getting a Sprint front wheel Speed Sender, you can still use the method outlined in the sticky - probably even using the GIPro sender (or the GSXR one is cheap and compact)

Sprint speedos found on EBay .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-TRIUMPH-SPRINT-ST-955I-SPEEDOMETER-SPEEDO-DASH-36K-/320966060888?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abb116b58&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Sprint-ST-Speedometer-/380410792786?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5892400b52&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/104-23-2000-00-triumph-sprint-st-speed-gauge-speedo-/300568188633?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fb4296d9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-00-SPRINT-ST-955I-GAUGES-SPEEDOMETER-TACH-METER-/390338639987?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae1fef873&vxp=mtr

Here's connection diagram for the Speedo:

Road Speed Sender can be OEM Sprint or the GIPro sender or the GSXR mod shown in sticky
However if using the GIPro for actual Speedo signal MUST be on the front with 4 counts per wheel revolution - otherwise speed healer will be needed for the speedo indication.
I would make the latter work (especially since you have it!) - OEM are expensive, rare on EBay and prone to break anyway!

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Thanks DEcosse. I already own an oem Sprint sendor. I bought all the parts for the digital gauge swap, but have decided to let that be a future project, if at all. So, I have the choice between the Gipro sendor and the oem Sprint. I may be inclined to use the oem since it's a straight fit into the wheel vs making the Gipro work. If the oem ever breaks on me I can retrofit the Gipro. I found the first Ebay speedo that you listed, no harm in making a lower bid offer. Does the Sprint speedo use the led screen for a trip meter as well as the odo, or do I lose the trip meter by converting? As always, thanks for your interest and time.

I see in your above schematic that a trip meter button is shown, so I assume the speedo comes with this feature.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes trip miles included on the Sprint LCD panel - if you have the Fuelbot LCD you will also have trip miles on that :D

If trip button is not supplied with the speedo (likely not) a simple momentary switch (same as the one used by TeeRiver for the FuelBot selector) will work

If you have the OEM Sprint sender use it! If rotor magnet ever breaks there is a link to an aluminum one on the sender thread. But really, all is required is care and attention when removing/installing wheel to avoid damage - just don't let anyone else do it! :D

I would say that first one is pretty good deal .........

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I just got the first speedo for $61shipped. Thanks for the switch heads up. Not a problem to install one. I'll think about the LCD. There is plenty of room inside my fairing for it. Thanks again. This will take some time to sort out. My bike is stored outside and winter is approaching. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts