Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sounds crazy to me but I have fuel leaking from one of the little bolts that holds the black plastic side panel on the tank. It's on a 2003, the nut that sits in the plastic got cross threaded, and spins inside the plastic, I must have spun it enough to cut through the plastic ans started leaking fuel. I had to cut the bolt head off to pull the panel. Any ideas for a fix?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
You can probably apply a patch on the inside (JB Weld or similar gas-resistant epoxy).
Scratch a cross-match pattern with series of cuts into the plastic to give the epoxy something to 'key' onto.
Then put a nut-sert or similar into the well once you get the old piece out.
If you can't get a nut-sert to 'rivet' itself adequately, you can always epoxy that in also.
I would avoid putting any torque on the bolt (shouldn't be necessary anyway!) afterwards to prevent re-cracking of the 'seal' inside the tank.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm a big fan of JB Weld.
You may be able to fill the hole with JB then drill and tap it since the bolt holding the side panel doesn't have to be too tight.
Another thought is to pull the fuel pump off the tank and seal it from the inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah Im draining the fuel right now to pull the pump out and take a look inside.. Can I re-use the fuel pump seal too? And do you really think that JB will hold well enough?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
JB Weld should be good if you prep the surface properly.
You should be able to reuse the pump seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.