Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying a used Bonneville, is it a good idea to get a fuel injected model year? I think that was 2008.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I believe 2008 in Europe. 2009 here in the States.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I love EFi, think it does a fantastic job of fuelling an engine and when we all know enough about it will be easier to deal with than jets and screws and all that malarky but carbies do a perfectly adequate job and there appears to be a greater 'knowledge base' on tuning them. If it were me I'd go for the bike I really want and worry about its fuelling system later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
EFI has the benefit of quick starting and running well immediately, without having to wait for warm up. It doesn't get out of tune and I think it can better handle changes in temperature, altitude and fuel quality, within reason. To me, the more you are looking for dependability, or daily use, the more that might cause you to lean toward EFI (although certainly not exclude carbs, just possibly favor EFI).

On the other hand, when I bought my Bonnie recently, I intentionally bought a 2006 model with carburetors. For me, it is a second bike. I already have a BMW F650GS with electronic control. I was looking for something with carbs to give it more of an old-time feel and because I don't mind having to worry about cleaning and tuning them on a second bike that is not a daily driver.

·
30,701 Posts
I know a lot of people who are very happy with thier EFI bikes. Go for it, they are great machines.

My own opinion is that unless you are seriously hot rodding the motor, the differences between the carbie and EFI bikes are actually trivial really.

And I expect that someone will come up with some good throttle bodies to make super hot rodding the EFI bikes a reality anyway, so either way, go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts